NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Stalking Rhino Industries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Neutron
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
Neutron is on a distinguished road
Default My 5+ year custom Stalking Rhino experience

So the time has come, I feel, to let people know about my "experience" with Matt, AKA Stalking Rhino.
I have been putting this off in hopes of a happier ending. I really did not want to write this, but I feel people should be informed before they find themselves in my situation. Feel free to comment on any of this, but please, be nice.

So it all starts middle of 2012 on another forum. Suppressor forum if I recall. I was looking for a can for my .45-70 lever gun. I was looking for input as I was still new to the NFA world. Matt comes along an tells me he can help. He can do a custom can and do it for a reasonable price. We go back and forth hashing out ideas and I finally agree on what I want. Nov 29 2012 I get a money order for the agreed upon amount. Now prior to this I did my research on Matt /SRI. Same thing continually came up, SLOW but the workmanship was good. I felt I would get a much better product from Matt than what was currently available at the time. I just had to be patient.
In the mean time we continue to talk on the phone on occasion. I did try to leave him alone for the most part. On Feb 27 2014 I got the barrel profile prints, so I could take my gun to my smith and have the barrel profiled and threaded. We changed a few of the materials around and the design a little. Sept 7 2014 I sent in some more money to cover the difference in materials. I decided to upgrade to a Titanium can and baffles. The wait continued. I was assured that it would be soon.
There was about a 6 month delay with my smith, but I finally got my gun back from the barrel threading. Sept 19 2014 I sent my gun to SRI so the final fitment and testing could be done.
Dec 2015 I am told the form 3 to my dealer is pending.
Feb 2016 still waiting on my form 3 to dealer. Still working on improvements to the can too.
March 2016 form 3 resubmitted to ATF
May 2016 re resubmitting form 3 with ATF and still working on R and D fine tuning the can.
July 2016 rolls around and Matt needs to get permission from the ATF to do some paperwork without the can being at my dealer. Dealer starts form 4 and submits.
Then comes the wait for Uncle Sam's blessing.
June 2017 Uncle Sam deems me worthy and I get my stamp. Yay! oh wait, my dealer still doesn't have my can. I don't have my gun back either.
I got my can awhile later. I do not remember exactly when. I did get it tho. This is when it started to go down hill. I got just the can, no takedown tool. I still don't have my gun either. It got shipped to the wrong address via the wrong carrier. I do not get USPS at my physical. I had been in communication with Matt, as best you can anyway, during tis whole ordeal. At this point I felt Matt was blaming me for the issues and now broken gun and missing takedown tool. In all fairness it could have been me because we were using text messaging to communicate. Hard to hear a persons tone thru a text message. I did confront him about it tho and said he was the issue and he would make me a .22 can for free.
March 2018 rolls around. I finally get my gun back. The delay was not all on Matt's end. He had to wait for the insurance company to pay for the broken stock. I will say both the stock and fore end match and are nicer than the gun came with. A small consolation prize I suppose.
Well this is great right? I got my junk and now I can actually try it out. I load up 5 405 grain cowboy loads and head outside. It is quiet. They were subs, but still. I was happy as a pig in slop. Later in the day I make time to head back out and hear what my hunting load will sound like. I loaded it with 1 hornady 325 lever evolution 2 reminghton soft points and another hornady. I wanted to hear the difference, if there was one between the 2 supersonic loads. They were loud. not awful but loud. On my way back in I find that my can now rattles. Not good. Check the end cap. No damage. I take it apart to see what is inside. The 4 end baffles, end cap and tube are fine. The blast baffle and center baffles are missing their cones now. I am sad.
Can makes it back to SRI march 20 2018. Matt says he will look at it.
May 7 2018 I start texting him. Every morning for 4 days till I get a reply. He says He found scaring on the baffles indicting a bullet strike. All the baffles need replaced. Good news is the tube and end cap are ok. He will make new baffles, more resistant to baffle strikes and only charge me for the titanium bar stock to make the baffles. He had to get a quote for the material. That was friday 5/11/18
I texted him again 5/16/18 and said forget it, I am done! I had not gotten a quote from him yet and had, had enough. I told him to send me my can back or destroy the can and file the appropriate paperwork with the ATF.
5/17/18 I got a, gee I'm really sorry to hear that, text. He told me quotes take a while to get from the supplier. He said he would ship my TUBE back to me asap. I replied that I did not want just the tube, but rather the whole suppressor. I have not heard back from him at the time of writing this. I just wanted what I paid for and waited for. I feel that I have been patient thru the whole thing. Now I am not even getting the can I wanted let alone the free .22 can he promised due to the long delay. Maybe I was a little hasty in my decision to call it off, but I have had enough. I do not believe I would get a fixed can back in a timely fashion.

So there you go. My sob story. Buyers be forewarned.

Last edited by Neutron; 05-17-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
copenhagen
Senior Member
 
copenhagen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 2,801
Rep Power: 14
copenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to all
Default

Oh bendersquint....lolololol...
copenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
propeine
Wannabe Gunsmith
 
propeine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NWPA
Posts: 2,935
Rep Power: 8
propeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
So the time has come, I feel, to let people know about my "experience" with Matt, AKA Stalking Rhino.
I have been putting this off in hopes of a happier ending. I really did not want to write this, but I feel people should be informed before they find themselves in my situation. Feel free to comment on any of this, but please, be nice.

So it all starts middle of 2012 on another forum. Suppressor forum if I recall. I was looking for a can for my .45-70 lever gun. I was looking for input as I was still new to the NFA world. Matt comes along an tells me he can help. He can do a custom can and do it for a reasonable price. We go back and forth hashing out ideas and I finally agree on what I want. Nov 29 2012 I get a money order for the agreed upon amount. Now prior to this I did my research on Matt /SRI. Same thing continually came up, SLOW but the workmanship was good. I felt I would get a much better product from Matt than what was currently available at the time. I just had to be patient.
In the mean time we continue to talk on the phone on occasion. I did try to leave him alone for the most part. On Feb 27 2014 I got the barrel profile prints, so I could take my gun to my smith and have the barrel profiled and threaded. We changed a few of the materials around and the design a little. Sept 7 2014 I sent in some more money to cover the difference in materials. I decided to upgrade to a Titanium can and baffles. The wait continued. I was assured that it would be soon.
There was about a 6 month delay with my smith, but I finally got my gun back from the barrel threading. Sept 19 2014 I sent my gun to SRI so the final fitment and testing could be done.
Dec 2015 I am told the form 3 to my dealer is pending.
Feb 2016 still waiting on my form 3 to dealer. Still working on improvements to the can too.
March 2016 form 3 resubmitted to ATF
May 2016 re resubmitting form 3 with ATF and still working on R and D fine tuning the can.
July 2016 rolls around and Matt needs to get permission from the ATF to do some paperwork without the can being at my dealer. Dealer starts form 4 and submits.
Then comes the wait for Uncle Sam's blessing.
June 2017 Uncle Sam deems me worthy and I get my stamp. Yay! oh wait, my dealer still doesn't have my can. I don't have my gun back either.
I got my can awhile later. I do not remember exactly when. I did get it tho. This is when it started to go down hill. I got just the can, no takedown tool. I still don't have my gun either. It got shipped to the wrong address via the wrong carrier. I do not get USPS at my physical. I had been in communication with Matt, as best you can anyway, during tis whole ordeal. At this point I felt Matt was blaming me for the issues and now broken gun and missing takedown tool. In all fairness it could have been me because we were using text messaging to communicate. Hard to hear a persons tone thru a text message. I did confront him about it tho and said he was the issue and he would make me a .22 can for free.
March 2018 rolls around. I finally get my gun back. The delay was not all on Matt's end. He had to wait for the insurance company to pay for the broken stock. I will say both the stock and fore end match and are nicer than the gun came with. A small consolation prize I suppose.
Well this is great right? I got my junk and now I can actually try it out. I load up 5 405 grain cowboy loads and head outside. It is quiet. They were subs, but still. I was happy as a pig in slop. Later in the day I make time to head back out and hear what my hunting load will sound like. I loaded it with 1 hornady 325 lever evolution 2 reminghton soft points and another hornady. I wanted to hear the difference, if there was one between the 2 supersonic loads. They were loud. not awful but loud. On my way back in I find that my can now rattles. Not good. Check the end cap. No damage. I take it apart to see what is inside. The 4 end baffles, end cap and tube are fine. The blast baffle and center baffles are missing their cones now. I am sad.
Can makes it back to SRI march 20 2018. Matt says he will look at it.
May 7 2018 I start texting him. Every morning for 4 days till I get a reply. He says He found scaring on the baffles indicting a bullet strike. All the baffles need replaced. Good news is the tube and end cap are ok. He will make new baffles, more resistant to baffle strikes and only charge me for the titanium bar stock to make the baffles. He had to get a quote for the material. That was friday 5/11/18
I texted him again 5/16/18 and said forget it, I am done! I had not gotten a quote from him yet and had, had enough. I told him to send me my can back or destroy the can and file the appropriate paperwork with the ATF.
5/17/18 I got a, gee I'm really sorry to hear that, text. He told me quotes take a while to get from the supplier. He said he would ship my TUBE back to me asap. I replied that I did not want just the tube, but rather the whole suppressor. I have not heard back from him at the time of writing this. I just wanted what I paid for and waited for. I feel that I have been patient thru the whole thing. Now I am not even getting the can I wanted let alone the free .22 can he promised due to the long delay. Maybe I was a little hasty in my decision to call it off, but I have had enough. I do not believe I would get a fixed can back in a timely fashion.

So there you go. My sob story. Buyers be forewarned.
Take your tube back. Don't be a dumbass because you're angry. Send it someone else's way if need be but you wouldn't throw out 200 dollars because you lost the other 500 at the casino would you?
__________________
I do not see theft for altruistic reasons as being morally superior to theft for any other reason. - Kristofer_G
propeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
Neutron
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
Neutron is on a distinguished road
Default

I want all of it back. I agree it is a waste to toss the can but. It is a reflex can that uses the barrel to seal the inside of the can. Without the baffles I would have to sent the gun and tube in to have baffles made. Then there is the expense. I an mot sure it would be worth the price of shipping and material/labor costs to have another manufacturer repair it. I can go get a SiCo hybrid.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries
 
sinsir's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here because I'm notnot all there
Posts: 4,100
Rep Power: 12
sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all
Default

OK how can I help resolve this issue?

I've got a msg out to Matt, let me figure out what's going on with this and I'll be in touch

Can a mod plz kick this to the Sri threads?
__________________
Working class whore - devil doc

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972

Last edited by sinsir; 05-17-2018 at 05:44 PM.
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Neutron
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
Neutron is on a distinguished road
Default

Sinsir,
I am open to suggestions, but I really feel that if Matt wanted to resolve this it would have been. Matt has not done what he said he would do when he said it would be done.
Also I chose to put it in this thread for more traffic. I did not want it to be hidden in the SRI section. I want people to see this, not have it hidden away. I do believe I have been more than fair in my representation too. This has been going on for over 5 YEARS. I want people to see it.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries
 
sinsir's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here because I'm notnot all there
Posts: 4,100
Rep Power: 12
sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
Sinsir,
I am open to suggestions, but I really feel that if Matt wanted to resolve this it would have been. Matt has not done what he said he would do when he said it would be done.
Also I chose to put it in this thread for more traffic. I did not want it to be hidden in the SRI section. I want people to see this, not have it hidden away. I do believe I have been more than fair in my representation too. This has been going on for over 5 YEARS. I want people to see it.

I hate it when I get blind sided like this so forgive my ignorance I'm trying to catch up on the details. I'll be speaking with Matt later today.

My suggestion for the thread to be moved was simply for congruencey of the page not to bury it or anything else. If that was my MO then I'd kill any dispute in our section. I like transparency, which is why I responded here and didn't pm you.

My intent is to resolve the issue so that you as the customer at least feel Sri was fair and did the right thing, sometimes unfortunately I have to step in to help that along or solve disputes
__________________
Working class whore - devil doc

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
Ccoffin
Professional amateur
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,497
Rep Power: 11
Ccoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to allCcoffin is a name known to all
Default

You may be the most patient person on the face of the earth. I would've lost my shit a long time ago. I don't know anything about the cost of machine work, but if you have a serialized tube could you at least have it converted to a non-reflex design? Just a direct thread or something?
Ccoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
kramer
Senior Member
 
kramer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neP.A.
Posts: 3,360
Rep Power: 10
kramer is a glorious beacon of lightkramer is a glorious beacon of lightkramer is a glorious beacon of lightkramer is a glorious beacon of lightkramer is a glorious beacon of lightkramer is a glorious beacon of lightkramer is a glorious beacon of lightkramer is a glorious beacon of light
Default

The never ending saga of "custom" work. No matter what it is, it will take forever to complete and cost a small fortune and hard feelings.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
superdrag67
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,238
Rep Power: 6
superdrag67 has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdrag67 has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdrag67 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Here I thought I was a patient person. You're on another level.

Does SRI do this stuff full time or is this a side gig that he does whenever he feels like it? The website has pretty much nothing on it and I don't think SWR legacy parts have even been made for a few years.

The only time I see SRI mentioned is in posts like this so it's hard to imagine him making a living doing custom parts.
superdrag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe
 
areekalaan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NW PA
Posts: 3,188
Rep Power: 10
areekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to all
Default

Damn! That makes Remington look good...

Hopefully they still have the baffles. It's possible they would have thrown the bad ones out by the time you requested them back if they were scrap.

The million dollar question is how the hell you got a baffle strike in an integral? What is the barrel twist on that thing?

Were you shooting wet or dry?

ETA: Hide it where you like, I always hit "new posts" when I log in, but a year from now if someone's looking for info on SRI it will be in the SRI section.
__________________
Truth is the best antidote. Snowflakes melt in the sunlight.

Last edited by areekalaan; 05-17-2018 at 09:22 PM.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
chrismartin
Seņor Member
 
chrismartin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tidewater, VA
Posts: 2,404
Rep Power: 11
chrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by areekalaan View Post
The million dollar question is how the hell you got a baffle strike in an integral? What is the barrel twist on that thing?
Sounds more like high pressure collapsing/separating the first few baffles.
__________________
The only thing I hate more than the hippy neoliberal fascist anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits that they eventually grow up to become. - John Casey
chrismartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #13
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries
 
sinsir's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here because I'm notnot all there
Posts: 4,100
Rep Power: 12
sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrag67 View Post
Here I thought I was a patient person. You're on another level.

Does SRI do this stuff full time or is this a side gig that he does whenever he feels like it? The website has pretty much nothing on it and I don't think SWR legacy parts have even been made for a few years.

The only time I see SRI mentioned is in posts like this so it's hard to imagine him making a living doing custom parts.
It is true that as a small business Sri does indeed have it's short comings, our website after being hacked was a half assed attempt at getting something other then a redirect to the hackers splash page. The website is and has been on my list of things to do.

To answer your questions although, yes Sri is a full time business that operates 6 days a week. In all transparency My position is somewhat flexible and not my full time gig, but it frees Matt to keep machining.
__________________
Working class whore - devil doc

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #14
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries
 
sinsir's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here because I'm notnot all there
Posts: 4,100
Rep Power: 12
sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by areekalaan View Post
Damn! That makes Remington look good...

Hopefully they still have the baffles. It's possible they would have thrown the bad ones out by the time you requested them back if they were scrap.

The million dollar question is how the hell you got a baffle strike in an integral? What is the barrel twist on that thing?

Were you shooting wet or dry?

ETA: Hide it where you like, I always hit "new posts" when I log in, but a year from now if someone's looking for info on SRI it will be in the SRI section.

Reflex not an integral
__________________
Working class whore - devil doc

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #15
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries
 
sinsir's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here because I'm notnot all there
Posts: 4,100
Rep Power: 12
sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
The never ending saga of "custom" work. No matter what it is, it will take forever to complete and cost a small fortune and hard feelings.
Been there done that especially when you know on the front end it's an r+d project...... That was the 7.62x25 tok ar conversion
__________________
Working class whore - devil doc

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 AM   #16
superdrag67
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,238
Rep Power: 6
superdrag67 has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdrag67 has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdrag67 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsir View Post
It is true that as a small business Sri does indeed have it's short comings, our website after being hacked was a half assed attempt at getting something other then a redirect to the hackers splash page. The website is and has been on my list of things to do.

To answer your questions although, yes Sri is a full time business that operates 6 days a week. In all transparency My position is somewhat flexible and not my full time gig, but it frees Matt to keep machining.
I've got no dog in the fight and I'm not trying to accuse you of covering for him but what is it that he's doing exactly that keeps him so busy 6 days a week with almost no time left to respond to customers? I remember considering sending him my Trident for a jailbreak probably 6-7 years ago and the stories like this even then kept me from doing so.

Why hasn't he hired help if he is that busy? And has been so for years on end apparently. I remember seeing him posting about his own line of suppressors quite some time ago and I'm not sure those ever materialized. I'm not seeing much come out in the way of legacy parts. Is he making parts for another industry? Or supplying parts for another manufacturer?

It just seems like 90% of the time I see businesses run like this in the gun industry it's one guy trying to work out of his garage in his spare time and he's in over his head.
superdrag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #17
Plunky
Forum Flunky, Admin
 
Plunky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,921
Rep Power: 22
Plunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to behold
Default

Thread moved. It will actually get more attention/views here, for folks do not have to be logged in to see this section.
__________________
Anonymous: "No company could possibly destroy their image and alienate 1/2 their customers faster than the NFL did."
Gillette: "Hold my beer"
Plunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
doubloon
pew pew yum yum
 
doubloon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Third Coast - Texas
Posts: 6,380
Rep Power: 21
doubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrag67 View Post
I've got no dog in the fight and I'm not trying to accuse you of covering for him but what is it that he's doing exactly that keeps him so busy 6 days a week with almost no time left to respond to customers? I remember considering sending him my Trident for a jailbreak probably 6-7 years ago and the stories like this even then kept me from doing so.

Why hasn't he hired help if he is that busy? ...
Same here and, based on the days when he used to post regularly to the old forum, I believe Matt is a very knowledgeable and talented guy.

But it was around 2011 I contacted Matt for a job nobody else would take on. He described for me in detail what he thought he could do, it fit exactly what I was looking for and sounded solid. Not being my first trip down the one-off, rarely been dun-b-fo trail he hit all the right points, without me having to lead him, while talking about the engineering involved to give me every confidence he could do the job and I'd get exactly what I wanted. Where it broke down for me is when we started talking about payment and delivery. The price wasn't exorbitant nor was it cheap but the method was non-standard and the schedule was ethereal so I bailed because that raised a flag for me I've run into before with a couple local guys I've had to visit face-to-face regularly to personally manage the work and delivery, not something that works well long distance.

When sinsir came on board with SRI I had high hopes that it would turn a corner for them on the road to a reliable pace for production and I do believe sinsir has made a positive difference in this area but, like he says, he's blind to previously backlogged or off-book work and I believe that's still an impact.

As for why he hasn't hired anyone my guess, based on emails and posts but not knowing him personally, is he hasn't found anyone who can live up to his standard of work that doesn't already have their own shop or he can't separate the journeyman work from the master work to give it to someone of lesser skills.

ETA: I haven't looked for a few years, having moved on to other projects, but I never did find anyone willing to take on that project that gave me the same confidence they actually had the skill to do it.

Last edited by doubloon; 05-18-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: project
doubloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #19
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries
 
sinsir's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here because I'm notnot all there
Posts: 4,100
Rep Power: 12
sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrag67 View Post
I've got no dog in the fight and I'm not trying to accuse you of covering for him but what is it that he's doing exactly that keeps him so busy 6 days a week with almost no time left to respond to customers? I remember considering sending him my Trident for a jailbreak probably 6-7 years ago and the stories like this even then kept me from doing so.

Why hasn't he hired help if he is that busy? And has been so for years on end apparently. I remember seeing him posting about his own line of suppressors quite some time ago and I'm not sure those ever materialized. I'm not seeing much come out in the way of legacy parts. Is he making parts for another industry? Or supplying parts for another manufacturer?

It just seems like 90% of the time I see businesses run like this in the gun industry it's one guy trying to work out of his garage in his spare time and he's in over his head.
Sri is a small businesses, and at times small businesses struggle with many issues. Time, cash flow, equipment maintenance, and employees being some of those issues. As such we do what we can to provide the best service at a reasonable price to meet the needs of our customers, does it always go smoothly? Without hiccups or growing pains... Nope.
We have to make the decision daily to use our time to either work on the previously mentioned website or be on the phone with a vendor chasing down the anodizing run that's a week past delivery date, or actually get parts packaged up and out. Sometimes I spend a lot of time replying to post such as this.

Especially with a small shop it's difficult to hire people who understand and are capable of "wearing many hats". Unfortunately the monthly cash flow isn't there to justify hiring individual positions for a machinists or two , a secretary, someone to handle shipping and receiving vendor issues, customer service, a web designer, someone doing r+d, product testing, and marketing. Then let's not forget the business of actually running a business

As far as our own cans go... Would you like one? Our Dagger and stiletto are pretty nice... Ironically I was testing a new design of our 45 can the other day. Pm me and I'll work up a build sheet
Again as a small business we don't have the capacity to stock store shelves, or the marketing /sales team to fight for that limited space.
We move a lot of parts (all firearms related not necessarily strictly suppressor related) , for various mfg, oem suppliers, and direct sales. it's honestly the bread and butter jobs that pay the bills, jailbreaks and recores are second, followed by ordered suppressors and custom work.

Sri is far from a fly by night company, and has grown significantly in the 8 short years we've been in business, yes we've grown from a single guy working in his garage on a single manual lathe to a few employees utilizing Hass cnc equipment. Like any other small business there is a huge investment of money, time, blood, sweat and even a few tears. it's almost insulting to be called or considered a back yard hack.

Is Sri positioned where I'm happy... No, but with slow and steady growth, and constant and consistent improvements we will meet the goals we've set out for ourselves and be able to exceed the expectations of our customers.
__________________
Working class whore - devil doc

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries
 
sinsir's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Here because I'm notnot all there
Posts: 4,100
Rep Power: 12
sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubloon View Post
Same here and, based on the days when he used to post regularly to the old forum, I believe Matt is a very knowledgeable and talented guy.
Matt is very knowledgeable and has great talents, nobody is good at everything though and we all need to know our limits.

There were a number of things that needed to change internally with Sri when I came along. The difficulty initially was balancing the what changes need to occur and not stepping all over someone else's baby, combined with having the resources to implement those changes.

For example, The metrics showed that a significant amount of time daily was just keeping up with phone calls, emails, and web postings. Productivity could be increased at the cost of Matt's presence and connectivity to industry being lessened.

We have made significant progress in the past few years and understand that we still have a ways to go, I'd personally like to thank everyone who has sent us their business which is exactly why situations such as this bothers me as much as it does.

Honestly guys, I'd rather spend my time resolving the issue at hand as opposed to defending the size of the business or our business models.
__________________
Working class whore - devil doc

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Copyright 2009 - 2019, NFATalk.org