NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Special Interest Arms

Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
phoenix
Black Market Firearms

phoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to beholdphoenix is a splendid one to behold

If you had to figure cost to make one of these, what would you charge? Is this a $500 project or a $2000 project?

Black Market Firearms (formerly Black Label Armory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
Rule #4: some things are worth fighting for.

Rule #5: everything worth fighting for cannot be bought with money.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #22
propeine
Wannabe Gunsmith

propeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to beholdpropeine is a splendid one to behold

Looks like a bunch of fun. Rifle's aren't terribly priced either. Too many projects not enough money. With PA's semi auto restriction on hunting I could see this as very worthwhile endeavor. Cheaper than a 9mm AR converted to straight pull and less "scary" for the local yokels.

ETA pheonix it looks like rifles are around 400ish then add in spinning up a new barrel

Last edited by propeine; 04-27-2015 at 01:32 PM.
propeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #23
DoctorSolo
Mr. Antisocial

DoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to all

Almost perfect.

Now do one in .45
DoctorSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #24
jjreinke

jjreinke has a spectacular aura aboutjjreinke has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSolo View Post
Almost perfect.

Now do one in .45
I've got a Remington 788 that I SBR'd (on paper) to 45 acp. I'm CADing up the mag well assembly right now. I'll post pics when completed.
jjreinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
DistalRadius

DistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud ofDistalRadius has much to be proud of

The .45 Mauser conversion kit from Rhineland Arms had my interest a while back but I was afraid the build might turn into a nightmare.

Neat though.

"Nope; these days if you don't have a linkless cam that tilts the breech end of the barrel downwards and locks it to the ejection port and a machined slide with a single locking lug that forms the front of the firing chamber riding on a one-piece polymer frame with interchangeable backstraps and a striker-fired assisted DAO trigger mechanism, nobody will take you seriously." -LoudClankingSound
DistalRadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
98_1LE

98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold98_1LE is a splendid one to behold

I almost posted the Rhineland Mauser earlier this morning. It is one of those things that if I wanted, I'd probably wait for one someone else finished to come up for sale.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #27
Richard/SIA

Location: Gardnerville, No. Nevada. Fifty miles south of Reno.
Richard/SIA is on a distinguished road

I've just done one of these as well with one of my integral suppressors.
I like that there is no action noise with each shot as the AR's and Thureon's have.

On mine the bolt face was too tight to accept a 9mm case head until I opened it up.

I'm C2/07 doing conversions commercially.
Hoping availability of actions to build on improves soon.

This is mine with the only scope I had handy slapped onto it.
I will be upgrading the scope ASAP.

Last edited by Richard/SIA; 07-12-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Richard/SIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #28
jimmym40a2
Super Moderator

jimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to all

That is an exellent project. Thanks for the report!
jimmym40a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #29
DoctorSolo
Mr. Antisocial

DoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to allDoctorSolo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/SIA View Post
I've just done one of these as well with one of my integral suppressors.
I kike that there is no action noise with each shot as the AR's and Thureon's have.

On mine the bolt face was too tight to accept a 9mm case head until I opened it up.

I'm C2/07 doing conversions commercially.
Hoping availability of actions to build on improves soon.

This is mine with the only scope I had handy slapped onto it.
I will be upgrading the scope ASAP.

Are you still doing De Lisles?
DoctorSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #30
Richard/SIA

Yes, still doing Enfield .45 in four different variations.
Kits, rifles, SC and De Lisle.

I will do these too as it would be nice to get to work with NEW actions that do not have to be rebuilt while doing the conversion.

Should be much faster and definitely is much simpler.

Almost as easy as an AR or Thureon pistol caliber conversion, clearly simpler than 300 BLK.

Need to get the first unit properly scoped and out to the range again.
Want to see how well this ten groove barrel works.

Last edited by Richard/SIA; 04-30-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #31
Richard/SIA

Default 9mm TCM conversions.

I'm going to say $350.00 for a basic 9mm conversion on a customer supplied gun, including return shipping.
Add $25.00 for muzzle threading.
1/2-28 would be too thin for comfort, 5/8-24 would be my choice.

Barrel lengths need to be standardized, so 11" and 16.5".
Could make the shorty 12" if that's the favorite by consensus.
11" will clear the end of the stock with a can attached.
Barrels at .750" OD as original to fit the stock but will be a little lighter with the 9mm bore.

Black Parkerized barrel finish to match the action as standard.
Black Duracoat finish option for all steel parts including the action and bolt $100.00.

Unless I've miscalculated somewhere this should be fair pricing for both sides of the deal.

Currently the best source for TCM's to convert appears to be auction sites.
All the regular distributors carry them but they seem to still be on perpetual back-order.
Around $410.00 is fair, the guys trying to get $500.00+ are scalping.
If you are buying for a conversion getting the gun shipped directly to me will save one shipping charge.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #32
Bendersquint
Stalking Rhino Industries

Bendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really nice

Quote:
I'm going to say $350.00 for a basic 9mm conversion on a customer supplied gun, including return shipping.
Add $25.00 for muzzle threading.
1/2-28 would be too thin for comfort, 5/8-24 would be my choice.
Majority of 9mm threads are 1/2-28.

It is more than thick enough for a competent machinist to thread comfortably, I have seen smaller threads an they are fine.

5/8-24 will limit potential purchasers as well as put their cans at risk.
Bendersquint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #33
Artful

Artful is on a distinguished road

I agree, the 1/2x28 is far more common for 9mm can's - unless you go Metric
M13.5x1 LH which is more common for Euro gun barrels.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #34
HotGuns
07/02FFL AR. CHL Instr.

HotGuns has a spectacular aura aboutHotGuns has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Majority of 9mm threads are 1/2-28.

It is more than thick enough for a competent machinist to thread comfortably, I have seen smaller threads an they are fine.
Most of my customers specifically ask that their 9MM stuff be threaded for 5/8-24 so that they can use their .45 cans on them without having to use adapters.

I know that I've been doing a lot more 5/8 threads on the 9mm barrels than I have the 1/2-28's lately.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #35
9a91
Hobby Gun Sunday Driver

9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of9a91 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
Most of my customers specifically ask that their 9MM stuff be threaded for 5/8-24 so that they can use their .45 cans on them without having to use adapters.

I know that I've been doing a lot more 5/8 threads on the 9mm barrels than I have the 1/2-28's lately.
Most of the common 9mm cans these days a rated 300WTF subs, which means they probably have a fixed barrel 5/8-24 thread mount available.

I plan on making a new barrel for my Masterpiece M11/9 clone as the factory chamber is grossly over sized and plan on threading it 5/8-24 and getting the matching mount for my Isis-2.
9a91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:41 AM   #36
Richard/SIA

Have done three Novem conversions now.

Integral suppressed that I am keeping but can make more of, an SBR, and now a non-SBR to order with an integral cup to avoid the NFA hassle.

Also got to the range, if you think your 9mm semi is quiet just try the same can on a bolt action!
Bolt action wins hands down.

This will look more normal once the customer puts his AAC Ti-Rant suppressor on it.

Last edited by Richard/SIA; 07-12-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #37
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud ofowensww has much to be proud of

That's cool. What suppressor OD will it accommodate?
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #38
Richard/SIA

This one is made to take an AAC TI-RANT 9mm suppressor 7.9" x Diameter 1.38"
Cup ID is 1.5".

Seems many others would need a 1.75" ID.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #39
ncorry

ncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to allncorry is a name known to all

Quote:
Have done three Novem conversions now.

Integral suppressed that I am keeping but can make more of, an SBR, and now a non-SBR to order with an integral cup to avoid the NFA hassle.

Also got to the range, if you think your 9mm semi is quiet just try the same can on a bolt action!
Bolt action wins hands down.

This will look more normal once the customer puts his suppressor on it.
That is a good looking set up. Got me thinking now.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #40
strobro32

strobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant futurestrobro32 has a brilliant future

I really like it. That would make a fun gun with 158 grain WC or FPs.

I wonder if this could get metered with a Octane 9HD at one of the NFATalk sessions?
strobro32 is offline   Reply With Quote