NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > SilencerCo / SWR

Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
gernest2

gernest2 is on a distinguished road
Default Octane 45 on 300 blk out

Anyone regularly use an Octane on 300 blk out? Does it need more maintenance? Happy with performance, etc? I'm waiting for my forms to come back and I'm looking getting one of those ruger ranch rifles in 300 blk out
gernest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
hypervdh
I shoot 4 rounds per year

hypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud of

I use an octane 9 on it. Seems just as quiet (maybe quieter) than my YHM 308 can on the same gun. The only downfall is no supersonics.

It seems to stay clean for me on a 16" ar type assault rifle. It gets far dirtier with 9mm than on a 300 blk.

Eta: I also have tried my osprey 45 on it and it sounds as good as the octane. This is on a 16" AAC model 7 for reference.

Last edited by hypervdh; 12-07-2015 at 10:10 PM.
hypervdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant future

I have an 8.5" 300blk AR and a 16.5 inch 300blk handi-rifle.

compatible cans:
YHM LT
Thunderbeast 30P-1
Revolution 9
Revolution 45
Osprey 9
Osprey 40
Osprey 45

I'm in NW PA. If you want to meet up and play before the weather goes to shit let me know.

ETA: are you asking about an Octane 9, 45, or 45K?

I quit using the revolutions on the handi-rifle because the 3 grooves silencerco puts in the piston for Osprey indexing jets crap into my face.

Last edited by areekalaan; 12-07-2015 at 09:26 PM.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
hypervdh

hypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud ofhypervdh has much to be proud of

He is asking about the octane 45. It is surprising you have enough blowback to hit your face with a 16" barrel. Have you tried different ammo? Or powder if you are loading them?

Last edited by hypervdh; 12-07-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant futureareekalaan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
He is asking about the octane 45. It is surprising you have enough blowback to hit your face with a 16" barrel. Have you tried different ammo? Or powder if you are loading them?
2 different factory loads. 220gr summit and 240gr doubletap. I haven't started loading yet. Not enough room.

First time I tried the combo was at the Indiana metering session earlier this year.

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12489

I think pieces of carbon were hitting my cheek and lip. It was bad enough that when a bug bit me and my arm was bleeding, I initially assumed it was from this combo. That is until it swelled up to the size of a 50 cent piece. Then i figured something bit me. lol.

This was with the Revolution 9, not the 45. I can try to hit the range this week and see if the reduced backpressure of the 45 bore helps. also, I am using a fixed barrel spacer and piston. A fixed mount endcap or 3-lug mount would also eliminate the problem.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
hypervdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by areekalaan View Post
also, I am using a fixed barrel spacer and piston. A fixed mount endcap or 3-lug mount would also eliminate the problem.
I just thought of this. I use a fixed mount end cap.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
DethRokRyan

DethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to beholdDethRokRyan is a splendid one to behold

I had the same blowback problem on my lever gun with my Octane 45. I filled the slots on the piston in with RTV silicone gasket maker, and it seems to have helped.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
allen16323

allen16323 has a spectacular aura aboutallen16323 has a spectacular aura about

I have a 8.5" 300 blk AR15 that I use my octane 45 hd on. No more maintenance, actually less than using it on 8" 9mm upper. Use the fixed mount spacer and have no blow back issue from the muzzle end just the usual port/charging handle gas which is little to none. It sounds Rey good at the ear with a pleasant tone. I use my own reloads with 230grn cast lead from a Lee mold over IMR 4227, also the pills are powder coated. I am also running seirra 220 grns and nosler 208 amax.