• Remember, when discussing all things gun/weapon/NFA related, all associated laws apply! DO NOT ask anyone here to help you do anything that is against the law. Period. Soliciting someone to do something illegal here will get your post removed, and possibly get you banned. Doing something illegal can lead to you being fined and spending quality time with "Bubba", where you will understand the meaning of PMITA Prison. Be smart, we are all hobbyists/collectors here who adhere to the law, and so should you.

Ruger Precision Rifle

Fireman1291

Most of you know that I've had two RPR's chambered in 6.5CM and 308Win since the day they came out. The reason this review took so long is I saw other reviewers rushing to be the first to post a video of the RPR. Which I totally get it, strike while the irons hot right?

Well, I really wanted to put this thing through the ringer. And as such I had to take my time collecting the footage for the video. Over the course of the past few months I have built the guns up, sighted them in, shot at distances from 100 to 1,000 yards and spent time getting to know the rifle and it's user intuitive features.

I must say that for the price this sells for at local shops (if you can find one in stock) it has to be the best thing going right now. The 6.5CM and 308Win both shoot sub MOA and feed and extract 100%. The trigger is light and crisp and gets better and better as you use it. I have roughly 800rds through the 6.5 and 600 through the 308Win so they are nice and broken in. I polished the bolt on the 6.5CM and left the 308 alone as a test and you can tell the 6.5CM cycles a tad smother. Other than that I don't see what anyone would need/want to do to this rifle after they set it up with some glass.

For the video I show the best group shot on THAT particular film day and of course the one day I went to the 100 yard indoor range with no wind I shoot a mind blowing 5 shot group and my camera bugged out and the file was corrupted. I was pretty damn pissed for awhile about that one. It looked like a .400" group. UGH! Anyway I really tried to keep the video short but it was hard as I had to tell the story of the rifle and my time with it.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy the video and please leave any feedback in the comments under the video. Thanks!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8VD3jP3s20"]Ruger Precision Rifle - YouTube[/ame]

chrismartin

Señor Member
Nice video, well done.

I have pulled in several sub .4" groups with my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. At least one group per range session will hit .3xx. It's an amazing rifle. It's very comfortable to sit behind and shoot. I recently picked up a Wiebad stock pad for it, cheek weld is so comfy you could fall asleep on it.

Last edited:

Mungle

Nice video - thanks for posting.

I don't hear much about the .243 version. Seems like it would be a good caliber for this weapon and ammo is a little less expensive and more readily available.

chrismartin

Señor Member
Nice video - thanks for posting.

I don't hear much about the .243 version. Seems like it would be a good caliber for this weapon and ammo is a little less expensive and more readily available.

There is a bunch of info on the .243 version on snipers hide and AR15.com.
The Ruger in .243 has been challenging for people to find a match level hand load for it (more-so than the 6.5 and 308 versions) that really performs and has a really small group size..

Ammo-wise, the 308, obviously, has the most variety of ammo available, including the great Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. At just a little over $1 to $1.20 per round, it's hard to beat for accuracy and consistency for off the shelf match ammo.

The .243 has a bunch of ammo off the shelf as well, however, it's target is more of the hunting crowd than competition or match-grade type ammo.

The 6.5 has the least variety of ammo out there, but it's focus is the match more than hunting. The Hornady 140gr match ammo is amazing and typically found at $1.20 per round. Still a great price, if you don't hand load, for match level ammo. Winchester also has 140gr match ammo out.

I feel that the 6.5 is a better match round than 308. It's softer shooting, has a flatter trajectory, stays super-sonic for longer distances, has less wind deflection and a better choice if you want to shoot longer distances. That comes at a reduced barrel life cost. However, if you want a good, expanding, hunting load, you'll have to hand load for it.

The .243 has similar benefits to the 6.5 (and barrel life negatives), but if you want a good match level load for it, you'll have to hand load for it.

The 308 is good if you want a larger, heavier bullet and more off-the-shelf ammo choice and/or want to stick to a cartridge that you already have and an increased barrel life. It has both match level and hunting loads available.

So, for me, it's target:
Match (if you don't hand load) = 6.5 then 308 or .243
Hunting (if you don't hand load) = .243 or 308, then 6.5
Both Match and Hunting (don't hand load)= 308

If you do handload, then it's you choice and can tune any of the loads to any of the rifles.

Personally, 6.5CM and the factory hornady ammo is amazing. I have a great 308 bolt gun, but the 6.5CM smokes it with factory ammo.

Fireman1291

The Ruger in .243 has been challenging for people to find a match level hand load for it (more-so than the 6.5 and 308 versions) that really performs and has a really small group size..

Ammo-wise, the 308, obviously, has the most variety of ammo available, including the great Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. At just a little over $1 to $1.20 per round, it's hard to beat for accuracy and consistency for off the shelf match ammo.

The .243 has a bunch of ammo off the shelf as well, however, it's target is more of the hunting crowd than competition or match-grade type ammo.

The 6.5 has the least variety of ammo out there, but it's focus is the match more than hunting. The Hornady 140gr match ammo is amazing and typically found at $1.20 per round. Still a great price, if you don't hand load, for match level ammo. Winchester also has 140gr match ammo out.

I feel that the 6.5 is a better match round than 308. It's softer shooting, has a flatter trajectory, stays super-sonic for longer distances, has less wind deflection and a better choice if you want to shoot longer distances. That comes at a reduced barrel life cost. However, if you want a good, expanding, hunting load, you'll have to hand load for it.

The .243 has similar benefits to the 6.5 (and barrel life negatives), but if you want a good match level load for it, you'll have to hand load for it.

The 308 is good if you want a larger, heavier bullet and more off-the-shelf ammo choice and/or want to stick to a cartridge that you already have and an increased barrel life. It has both match level and hunting loads available.

So, for me, it's target:

If you do handload, then it's you choice and can tune any of the loads to any of the rifles.

Personally, 6.5CM and the factory hornady ammo is amazing. I have a great 308 bolt gun, but the 6.5CM smokes it with factory ammo.

THIS! This is what I wanted to say in the video but didn't want it to turn into a Nutnfancy 40min review. Well said!

allen16323

Mine is in route can't wait, went with 308 because I didn't want to add another caliber to the stable. Have many 30 calls that I load for so many common components.

Mungle

So, for me, it's target:

Chris,

You have eloquently articulated my suspicions for each available caliber - well said and thank you for your response.

I am looking for one, not for myself, but to build for a friend who does not handload (...yet, if I have anything to do with it). I didn't want to build a rifle too expensive to shoot, but it's not a cheap sport to begin with.

Again, thank you for a bunch of information in a small space.