NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Liberty Suppressors

Old 08-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
JWill

JWill is on a distinguished road
Default Freedom QA, Victory, or YHM Phantom Ti 7.62

OK, I know the response in here might be a bit biased, but I am close to deciding on a 7.62mm suppressor and need some help to finalize a decision. I know I want light, which means titanium if possible. I would use it as a dual-purpose for my 5.56mm AR-15s and a bolt-action .308 rifle. I've seen some say that titanium suppressors are not the best choice for SBRs, and I do intend to get a 10.5" or 11.5" 5.56mm AR-15. It also appears that some titanium suppressors like the Phantom Ti tend to throw sparks out the front.

I am this close to ordering a Liberty Victory for it's lightness and suppression, but am wondering if I should go with a quick detachable option. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice to be able to quickly switch hosts, and unless there is something special about Liberty's threading, the quick detachable options won't screw loose every mag or two.

The Freedom QA is quite neat if they are compatible with YHM mounts. It's a bit heavier than the titanium suppressors though. I saw a Magnum version listed on their site, but not a regular one.

The titanium Phantom , from my research, doesn't look like it has top-tier suppression compared to others in its class, but is decent. A YouTube video I saw and threads in forums shows that it tends to throw sparks out the front.

I've been doing my research, but any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.
JWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
stonersr26

stonersr26 is on a distinguished road

Dave would be able to give you a better answer, but here it is quick and dirty:

Titanium suppressors and short barrels or fast fire rates DO NOT MIX well. If you want to shoot it fast and use it on an SBR then get the Liberty QD Freedom. I have an AAC 7.62SD and it is one of the lighter 7.62 cans that isn't titanium and it weighs in an ounce lighter than the Freedom. The Liberty can consistently meters one of the quietest cans available, their QD system allows you to use whatever flash hider or muzzle brake you want, and Dave and Teresa are very nice people.

If I could convince my wife to move to Trenton I would seriously be sending Dave my resume for their job opening, that is what I think of Dave and Teresa and I unfortunately don't even own one of their suppressors yet
stonersr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
MrM4
Deep Creek Outfitters LLC

MrM4 will become famous soon enoughMrM4 will become famous soon enough

Id skip the YHM titanium
MrM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
JWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonersr26 View Post
Dave would be able to give you a better answer, but here it is quick and dirty:

Titanium suppressors and short barrels or fast fire rates DO NOT MIX well. If you want to shoot it fast and use it on an SBR then get the Liberty QD Freedom. I have an AAC 7.62SD and it is one of the lighter 7.62 cans that isn't titanium and it weighs in an ounce lighter than the Freedom. The Liberty can consistently meters one of the quietest cans available, their QD system allows you to use whatever flash hider or muzzle brake you want, and Dave and Teresa are very nice people.

If I could convince my wife to move to Trenton I would seriously be sending Dave my resume for their job opening, that is what I think of Dave and Teresa and I unfortunately don't even own one of their suppressors yet
Good answer. The Freedom Magnum QA plus mount, and I confirmed with Liberty it only comes in Magnum, would be considerably heavier than the titanium options, 29oz total compared to 15oz. It looks like a good option though, it can handle up to .300 Win Mag and take more abuse. The only negative is the weight. If I chose titanium, I'd probably limit the use on the SBR. I'd start out using the suppressor on a 16" AR-15. I'd get the .308 bolt-action next, then the SBR later. I'm sure I would not be disappointed with either choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM4 View Post
Id skip the YHM titanium
I am leaning towards one of the Liberty suppressors, but can you explain why?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
stonersr26

stonersr26 is on a distinguished road

My bad, I thought that the Freedom was available as a QD as well. I didn't realize it was only available for the Magnum. Have you called anyone at Liberty to confirm that? Never mind just saw where you said you did!! I just ask because I could have sworn I heard someone talking about owning a Freedom QD.

Could be me though as I am quite well known for my chronic CRS (Can't Remember Shtt."
stonersr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
BLAKEinTX

BLAKEinTX is on a distinguished road

The YHM 762Ti is a good can but it doesnt have a SS insert and youll get a lot of sparking

The Freedom comes in threaded and QA along with its magnum version

The Victory at this time does not come in a QA version but you can get a threaded magnum version

If you want lightweight get the Victory and a thread adapter and youd be set
BLAKEinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Crk245
CAN MAN

Crk245 is just really niceCrk245 is just really niceCrk245 is just really niceCrk245 is just really niceCrk245 is just really niceCrk245 is just really niceCrk245 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKEinTX View Post
The YHM 762Ti is a good can but it doesnt have a SS insert and youll get a lot of sparking

The Freedom comes in threaded and QA along with its magnum version

The Victory at this time does not come in a QA version but you can get a threaded magnum version

If you want lightweight get the Victory and a thread adapter and youd be set
I agree about the ss insert. I have a lightweight can that I just tried on my blackout AR. Sounds great and is light, but full auto is a no go because of sparking. I'm ordering a freedom on Monday.

gotnfa.com Get your fix
Instagram:@CRK245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die

Crk245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
caw308

caw308 is on a distinguished road

YHM 3300 TI, is good for a bolt gun, not to be ran on long heated shot strings! This is per YHM! Stick with either the Freedom Mag Q.A, or Yhm stainless 3300 Q.A
Liberty suppression on F.M Q.A is better
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty,once lost is lost forever. John Adams
caw308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
JWill

I've seen quite a few people say that titanium is not the best choice for SBRs and/or rapid-fire/full-auto because it does not tolerate the extreme heat as well as stainless steel or Inconel. I think it would be OK for limited use and slower fire rates though. I personally chose a Liberty Victory because I wanted lightweight. I don't intend to do rapid-fire mag dumps, and I see myself getting a .308 bolt-action and an SPR before a 10.5" or 11.5" SBR. By the time I get the SBR, I might be able to just add a stainless steel 5.56 suppressor like a Liberty Torch to my collection. I think that I am happy with my decision, and that I won't be disappointed.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
dtom29

dtom29 will become famous soon enoughdtom29 will become famous soon enough

My only disappointment in any of my suppressors is the one heavy one that I own. I will never have another heavy can. My only full auto is in 9mm so titanium is not a problem for me even in an SBR. I'm just not going to be bump firing full mags from my SBR's with the suppressor attached.
dtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
kramer

kramer has a spectacular aura aboutkramer has a spectacular aura aboutkramer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWill View Post
I've seen quite a few people say that titanium is not the best choice for SBRs and/or rapid-fire/full-auto because it does not tolerate the extreme heat as well as stainless steel or Inconel.
When it comes to firearms, the issue that usually comes up is high temperature embrittlement and the end result is rupture.

I have a Sandstorm, but it's mainly for the Remmy 700 so I am not worried about it. I would not buy one for a SBR or MG.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
bluto

bluto is on a distinguished road

Actually, I believe the yhm's baffles are inconel: http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=306

I had some doubts about buying the titanium phantom in 5.56 for a 10.5" sbr: http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6667

My main concern, like the op, was weight. Unlike the op, though, I don't own an fa lower and don't really do mag dumps...

My form 4 for it is still pending, but I am happy with my decision, even though I am currently looking for my next can, which will likely be stainless and therefore heavier... Just in case I find a really cheap fa lower one day...
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote