NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Griffin Armament

Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura about
Default Griffin Rev 9 baffles

I am curious why the performance of the Rev 9 seems to be better than the octane 9 on the initial silencer shop demonstration.

The designs seem similar at first but there are a few differences I have noticed but I am unsure how important they are.
1. There is 1 more baffle
2. The baffle holes are squared off

Any other thoughts?
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Bendersquint
Stalking Rhino Industries

Bendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensww View Post
I am curious why the performance of the Rev 9 seems to be better than the octane 9 on the initial silencer shop demonstration.

The designs seem similar at first but there are a few differences I have noticed but I am unsure how important they are.
1. There is 1 more baffle
2. The baffle holes are squared off

Any other thoughts?
All it takes is the difference in the spacer being .01" and that can change EVERYTHING!
Bendersquint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura about

Huh

That must be maddening for the designers .
Old 12-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Bendersquint

Bendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really nice

Quote:
Huh

That must be maddening for the designers .
We had a design drop 2dB by adding a 30 degree slope to .015" of a baffle surface!

All part of being a manufacturer.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of light

so do you use computer simulations or trial and error?
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Bendersquint

Quote:
Originally Posted by areekalaan View Post
so do you use computer simulations or trial and error?
Trial and error....computer simulations are not accurate when it comes to silencers.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Ben B.
Gun gamer

Ben B. is a jewel in the roughBen B. is a jewel in the roughBen B. is a jewel in the roughBen B. is a jewel in the roughBen B. is a jewel in the roughBen B. is a jewel in the rough

Cool, I have some geeky love for hearing snippets of insider talk on silencer R&D.

As a silencer owner and innerwebz expert, I might add that it seems to me that 2-5 dB variance can occur on different days, ammo, firearm, & environ conditions. So it can be tricky getting too gooey over single test results.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. -Cornelius Tacitus

I want somebody to do it for me. This ass isn't gonna fatten itself. -Twinsen

There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result.-Winston Churchill
Ben B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
green0

green0 has a spectacular aura aboutgreen0 has a spectacular aura aboutgreen0 has a spectacular aura about

There isn't nearly as much similarity between the baffles as there appears to be at a passing glance. If you put the two parts in an engineer's hands, they are completely different parts.

As for the 2-3DB on different days, I haven't really experienced that. I think a lot of the misconceptions about silencers stem from BS lines that suppressor sales people push.

I've never told people that tone and frequency are more important than SPL. Many other manufacturers have.

I've never told people performance swings from day to day. Many others have. I've generally found products to very consistently meter from one day to the next.

Maybe some of that variable is caused by people with meters that drift, and who don't calibrate their meters- or by people who don't set up their meter exactly 90 degrees to the muzzle, or who vary the distance from the meter to the muzzle. If you do everything consistently you will get very consistent results.
green0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
owensww
Not A Clue

Default recoil booster piston assembly

Does significant enough gas escape from the recoil booster piston assembly to explain the increase of SPL at the ear evident in the data on this site on 9mm silencers? Or is it all action related?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
ArevaloSOCOM
I ain't got time to bleed

ArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to all

Cv% is the best indicator of reproducibility IMHO

For example take out test of the M4SDII
At 1 M
CV%=0.37.........that's very low in case you don't know.
The 2 SD range on this can was 141.27-143.42.
Even a 3SD would allow for a 1.6 db difference.

It was Very repeatable.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #11
green0

green0 has a spectacular aura aboutgreen0 has a spectacular aura aboutgreen0 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Does significant enough gas escape from the recoil booster piston assembly to explain the increase of SPL at the ear evident in the data on this site on 9mm silencers? Or is it all action related?
Gas doesn't escape (Or at least not significant amounts) from the booster piston assembly with O-ring designs. The increase in noise if present is ejection port noise.
green0 is offline   Reply With Quote