NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Stalking Rhino Industries

Old 08-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #21
brickwurx

brickwurx is on a distinguished road

From the history of a few threads I have read, and some of your emails to me, you have been working to correct communications issues for quite a long time now. Folks can often be very good at a many things in life, but it would be hard for everyone, to be good at everything. My point is that you may be one hell of a machinist, and you seemed like a very nice guy when we talked on the phone a year ago, but perhaps not the best at staying on top of every aspect of your business, or with communication to your customers.

Who am I to Judge? Well, I was your customer. I had an extremely tough time getting a hold of you. Phone calls always went to voicemail, and I never received even one return call. 1 out of 5 emails were addressed at best, but often with only partial explanation that honestly felt like excuses. Was I needy, I did not think so; I sent my first email concerning the deadline three weeks past it, and then asked about once a month for an update. Had you quoted me a later time, say four more months, I would have waited, but that type of transparency did not exists. In fact, until I decided to look for help on this forum, it became nearly impossible to get a response from you. The longest response I have ever received from you is on this forum, and I did not read like “sorry I failed you as a customer concerning comms and a timeline”, just more justification as to your reasoning for why you do things the way you do. And an extreme picture of stainless rust that looks like the owner of the can was using his suppressor as a trolling weight for bass fishing.

To address some of your recent forum replies-

Your job is still listed as incomplete pending a new mount- how long does that take? I sent you an email on July 17th saying please just send the rusted mount with the adapter. I will take care of any surface rust. Making sure the mount is the one the adapter was made for was more important that a bit of surface rust. You sent the adapter, no mount. That could have been the end of it had you simply sent the rusted adapter as requested.

I am very aware that stainless can and will rust. Let’s be honest, how much could a new part you ordered just for my project have rusted in that time if it were handled correctly? Do you have a photo of that mount? Why didn’t you just send it to me, or at least said, “No man, I don’t work that way, let me get you what you paid for”? I never heard back from you either way. You only wrote Shawn had said I was looking for you. Then I got an adapter, no mount, with ZERO communication. Where is the mount now???

This is the FIRST I have heard of any concern of its fit. Does that mean if I had emailed you, THAT time would be different concerning a response from any other time you did not resopnd? Yes it does fit, but not tight thread fit like a custom built unit would or should fit, it’s a loose fit until lock up, just like I wrote. However, there is NOOOO way in hell I am sending my can back to you again for you to look things over.

You have the option to wait for the mount or receive a refund of the mount price. YES!!!! REFUND!!!! PLEASE!!!! For the part you never sent, you know, the part you quoted me at a higher price than I can get it from anywhere else but from you, or directly from Griffin!
In fact, I asked for a complete refund requesting to cancel everything on July 30th, NO RESPONSE. I didn’t resort to starting this thread until nearly two weeks after not hearing from you after that time. On the 17th of July, I asked for the adapter and the rusted brake. On August 4th I sent another email asking for the Griffin brake or a refund. Then finally decided to write how things turned out yesterday on the forum, another three weeks after zero comms. (a pattern I grew tired of dealing with). So YES, a refund would be nice.

It took a lot of time and disappointment for me to decide to look for help outside of contacting you directly, it is sort of embarrassing, for us both. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. Should every SRI customer be required to resort to such measures because you are just so slammed with work that you simply do not have time to work with them after taking payment? Customers and good communication ARE your work bro, its your business.
If you just want to make parts, you probably need to work for someone other than yourself.

Ya gotta realize the fact that deadlines and communication are definitely not your thing and find a business partner that can offset your weaknesses. I do not personally know Shawn, but I’ve had better communication from him in the last month, than I have had with you in over a year, that should tell you something. Own it, and then fix it man.

Last edited by brickwurx; 08-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.
brickwurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:57 AM   #22
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries

sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all

We will have your refund mailed on Monday at the latest . Unfortunately things like this do happen and I apologize for letting this slip.
Thank you for your input and your feedback, as always at times we fail to even meet our own goals while we strive to do better.

I'm not going to get into a debate or try to argue details, as I'm partially removed from the situation. I can emphasize with your frustration, however I believe some of that is self created with a fair amount of assumptions.

My mantra has always been * every customer is our only customer * and frankly it sucks that we lost your business, but more so your trust and respect as we work to do our best and help our customers with their needs.

Let me know personally if I can help you further. I can catch pm's easier than a post as they are pushed to my phone.

Shawn

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #23
Plunky
Forum Flunky, Admin

Plunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to behold

If this does not get resolved, please let me know.
Plunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
brickwurx

Shawn,

Thank you for your fair response. You are correct, I have made some assumptions, it was my only option remaining after I failed to get answers to my emails over the past year. It is unfortunate things went this far. A simple phone call at anytime within the past six months would have prevented it. I have never complained, wrote poorly of a business, or trashed talked anyone on a forum prior to this thread. Especially as a newer member, that's why I wrote it was a little embarrassing. I appreciate your help, and your offer to help make things right.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #25
sinsir

sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all

Thanks, I do what I can. I hope that you hang around here as it's full of good folks with lots of great information.

When I get to Louisville I'll give you a heads up, as I love doing face time with members when I can.

Back to business - again my apologies and we will have a refund out by Monday am at the latest as a poor solution to rectify a bad situation.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #26
98_1LE

98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough

sinsir is good people.

My assessment of the problem is SR doesn't let the customer know what the wait will be, or when the order will be delivered. A little communication goes a long way.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #27
Duce

Duce is a jewel in the roughDuce is a jewel in the roughDuce is a jewel in the roughDuce is a jewel in the roughDuce is a jewel in the roughDuce is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
sinsir is good people.
I concur

My assessment of the problem is SR doesn't let the customer know what the wait will be, or when the order will be delivered. A little communication goes a long way.
To be fair many in the industry are week in this area. Hence the "two week" turn around time joke. Dosnt make thing right but how things happen.And it sucks.
Brickwurx your to close to not make it to a meetering event at my farm next year. I plan to host again. Its great to meet nfa talk member, compair side by side multipal products, and get triger time and exposure with platforms you have not been exposed to. Stick around its the best form I have found with friendly folks that freely share their knowledge. Hell pm me and come out and shoot sometime.

Last edited by Duce; 08-26-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #28
98_1LE

98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough98_1LE is a jewel in the rough

The obvious difference between those companies and SRI, is those companies actually respond with something.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #29
Phineaspoe2000

Phineaspoe2000 has a spectacular aura aboutPhineaspoe2000 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
The obvious difference between those companies and SRI, is those companies actually respond with something.
Agreed. After dealing with too many companies that fail to respond or provide what is agreed upon I can empathize with the OP. It's reviews like this that determine whether or not I'll deal with a business. I can appreciate Sinsir's timely responses on the forum but a business dealing that gets to that point is already failed.
Phineaspoe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #30
sinsir

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it especially pointing out the flaws and weak points. Part of what I do for Sri is help streamline and resolve some of these issues. I know that I've been slacking here as well, as life and other work commitments come into play....

Change at times happens slowly with small business, it always seems like you are running out of time, money, or resources when you need them the most, and I won't even get into vendor issues.

The new tracking system should be able to link jobs with various emails, and looking at our spam filters is on my list of things to do. As well as having more customer service forwarded to me directly so that they can be addressed in a more timely manner. As y'all know, I don't do bs, I'm openly honest yet at times crude in the delivery.

I'd like to say thank you to all of our customers and let you know that we are striving to be better. Your support and understanding is greatly appreciated. If you have any issues or concerns about SRI I'd be happy to help so hit me up anytime.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #31
kramer

kramer is just really nicekramer is just really nicekramer is just really nicekramer is just really nicekramer is just really nicekramer is just really nicekramer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce View Post
Hence the "two week" turn around time joke.
Well the first time that I heard two weeks was back in late 1999. That was Mark Serbu's answer to when his now famous single shot BFG 50 would be available.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #32
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure it is older than that. It was a recurring joke in the Money Pit.

I am going tell you a joke about construction, but I'm still working on it.

Last edited by owensww; 08-26-2017 at 09:53 PM.
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #33
sinsir

Let's just go ahead and leave off topic or non related comments off of this thread please.

Thanks guys

Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #34
sinsir

I just wanted to post that I have confirmed with Matt that the refund check is in the mail. Please let me know when it's been received.

Thank you

Old 08-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #35
brickwurx

I will do so sir. Thank you for taking the time to help.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #36
brickwurx

As promised, Matt and Shawn at SRI sent a check for the $90 Griffin mount that was not delivered with the mount. I appreciate the help from Shawn to get this taken care of, and I owe him for his help. Below is how the mount turned out after testing. Not so great, but definitely not the fault of SRI. My explanation is below, and is primarily for anyone that may be thinking of perusing a similar idea.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #37
Nathaniel Crunkleton

Nathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to all

Delete This Post

Last edited by Nathaniel Crunkleton; 09-03-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Nathaniel Crunkleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #38
brickwurx

Why an adapter for a direct thread can ends up not being such a great idea.

For those that want the backstory prior to me seeking help on this forum concerning contact with Matt at SRI. Some time ago I had this idea to turn my AAC Ranger 2 into a QD can form my truck gun. The Ranger is a direct thread only design, and my AR would not fit in the lock box with the can threaded on, even with a LAW folder and a 10.5” barrel SBR (it is a small fixed mount box). The down side to a direct thread can for this particular use is that it would take time to thread the can in a pinch, and the barrel threads would be exposed if I did not use the can. So, since I did not want to invest in another AR specific host can for my truck gun (I was being a cheap ass), I reached out to Matt at Stalking Rhino to see if he could make me an adapter. We emailed back and forth on different muzzle mount ideas such as a 3 lug HK style, and also a YHM mount design, but we ended up going with the Griffin Mount for a few reasons.

1. While still a threaded mount, it has a solid history of great lockup with their 5 degree shoulder design, and still faster than standard threading on a direct thread can. (Rangers 2’s like to walk)
3. It has a built in muzzle break that protects factory barrel threads that I can also use a blast shield with.
4. Griffin Minimalist breaks are very short, keeping the length in spec for my truck box.

The total cost for the project was $215, and included a griffin minimalist mount. Yes, if you have read my previous posts, it did take Matt a very long time to get me the adapter. But the remainder of this reply has nothing to do with customer service or time, nor am I in ANY WAY bashing or knocking Matt for the product that he sent me. While I did complain the threads are loose until lock up, they absolutely do lock tight once engaged firmly. I think the adapter that Matt built me has done the job as intended. Had I knew then, what I know now, especially after the conversation I had with Matt a long while ago about this not being a perfect solution, I would have left the ranger on a house weapon. And took the advice of others and purchased a QD style can for my truck needs.

With that said, in the year time from placing my order to receiving the product, I have since educated myself a bit more. I bought myself a lathe, am learning to work with metal, and I also have an approved form1 so that I can indeed build the can I should have built to begin with. I have also benefited from reading posts on forums such as this, talking with form1 and professional builders, and have learned many reasons why adapters are rarely a great option, as Matt had mentioned before. For me, I just didn’t know what I didn’t know. And for this post, the key word I did not know or understand was, “harmonics”.

When I first got the adapter from SRI, I quickly threaded it to the can, mounted the can to the griffin mount that was already on my rifle, and used a 5.56 alignment rod by Geissele to make sure everything lined up. Everything looked perfect! In my excitement I ran out back and popped off two rounds to test things out, not smart, as a 10.5” Suppressed SBR is still not hearing safe, I knew better. But everything worked fine. Adapter was a little stuck, but this is also my fault as I now know to lube the mount (fireclean), and I would also need to use rockset on the threads of the adapter to prevent slip. Since the adapter was smaller than the can, and I wanted to make sure I could remove the can fast, I machined a piece of 1.75” aluminum round stock to free float the can similar to a rail. By drilling and threading the cover, I could set screw four sides to make it easier to add or remove the can (I did dimple the adapter to ensure good fit and no slippage). I then ceracoated everything that evening and planned to make it out to the range the next afternoon to check on POI shift.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23482858@N03/36820715276/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23482858@N03/36820715076/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23482858@N03/36820714636/

At the range, 50 yards, I noticed a significant POI. Two separate five shot groups with a four inch drop, and left by about two more inches. I took everything apart, but all looked good. Not the best results, but not horrible either I guess. I then inspected the target, I was getting keyholes, which had me stressed that I was getting baffle strikes. I did not bring a bunch of stuff to inspect further so back to the shop I went for the day. I looked over everything that evening, can looked good, barrel, adapter, mount, all good. No sign of baffle strikes that I could see, no brass marking, nothing (this suppressor is not user serviceable, but an Iphone camera shows zero markings of any sort that I could find).

I had a buddy accompany me a few days later to the range, I brought one additional rifle and an extra upper, and all with the same griffin minimalist mounts (I do love the Griffin mounts). My 10.5” SBR, a 16” bone stock DPMS (first AR ever), and a 7.5” pistol upper. Each time I used the can on a new upper or rifle I would check alignment with a rod, it was always GTG. I started with federal 62gr (XM855) as that’s what I had used prior at the house, pretty much the same effect from all three uppers, keyholes at 50 yards in five shot groups, watching for anything out of the ordinary. On inspection after each group everything looked fine. We then tried 55gr (XM193) and things got much worse, six inches of drop or greater, and this time we found that the projectiles had indeed “kissed” the end cap hole. Extremely minor, but it happened at least once. I only shot one group of five shots with 55gr using the can and adapter combo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23482858@N03/36820715326/

After talking with the RO, I bought two boxes of Federal 77gr OTM. Before shooting the 77gr, we talked about barrel harmonics. I removed the new adapter and used it with no can attached (barrel / Griffin brake/ adapter only). Again, Keyholes with 55gr and 62 gr, worse with 55, better with 62, but when I tried the 77gr, no keyholes at all, WTF? The SRI adapter had zero marks on inspection, nothing, perfect, no brass coloring, nothing but powder residue. I put the can back on, shot two more groups of five shots with 77gr and had the best groups yet, less than a one inch drop and no horizontal shift. Tried again with 62gr, same negative effect as before, I did not try 55gr from any upper as I did not want to recreate a strike.

I would like to note I had never shot 77gr (FC262, not cheap!) ammo through any of my rifles before, as I have not previously had issues with 55gr or 62 gr in the past. Nor did I have issues with ammo when the can was threaded on in the past, or after the Griffin brakes had been added when I re-zeroed before the adapter sans the can. I can write that the shortest barrel (7.5”) did not perform the worst overall which was a surprise. It was slightly better at 50 yards than the 10.5”, but neither did as well as the 16”. However, two barreled uppers have a different optic. The 7.5” and 10.5” use the RMR06, the DPMS has a AR-223 scope, so that could affect the end result.

Since the adapter mounted to each Griffin brake had near identical mounting results when checked with the guide rod, it seems that it is possible the pocket milled into the adapter to accept the brake, while very small, could indeed have an effect on the projectile leaving the barrel. The brake is designed to push gas outward at a near 90 degree vent from the muzzle; perhaps it being contained within a custom adapter has a very adverse effect on the bullets projection. I can say that the crown on the adapter looks very good, and I have no idea why the 77gr would perform better than the other lighter rounds. Only that most of the folks I have talked to so far believe the adapter covering the brake could be messing with the barrel harmonics enough to throw off the shot and cause the round to tumble. All three barrels are 1:7 rate of twist. I was always under the impression the twist rate or some sort of strike is what would often cause projectiles to tumble (thus my reasoning for thinking a heavier bullet would perform worse, not better). Barrels all look good, all are chrome lined and in good shape, While not all from the same manufacturer, all are FN Hammer forged 5.56 marked ( I swapped the DPMS barrel out a few years ago).

So aside from experimenting until I bust my can, or worse, it looks like its 77gr is the only ammo for the adapter and Ranger2 combo until I build something different. I am sure those with more experience than I may have a better explanation, because I’m stumped. To those thinking an adapter could be an easy fix, please be cautious, even with a precision made part that holds true and concentric, unexpected issues can arise.

Edit as of 5:51, I would like to add that while I was not happy with SRI because of the time it took to receive the adapter, Matt did inform me in our very first conversation that tolerance can and will add up, and to proceed carefully. It may not be a tool I plan on using often, but it will work for what it was designed for, an emergency.

Last edited by brickwurx; 09-03-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #39
sinsir

Have you received the refund check? Please let me know when you do.

Thank you
Shawn

Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #40
no4mk1t
Distinguished Rifleman

no4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to beholdno4mk1t is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsir View Post
Have you received the refund check? Please let me know when you do.

Thank you
Shawn
He got it.
See post #36.