NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Griffin Armament

Old 05-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
chrismartin
Seņor Member

chrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to allchrismartin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by areekalaan View Post
What? No love for Griffin's reflex cans?
RSTA:

Great for what it is, tough, but it's HEAVY. I'd buy something much lighter if I were buying today (TBAC Ultra-7).

My only problem was with one of the original mounts. It had a huge burr in it that messed up the threads on two my barrels. Griffin would not replace the mount, nor would the fix the mount. I ended up buying a bottoming tap and running it down the mount to fix it. It didn't touch any other threads other than the ones at the end that were messed up.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #22
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan is just really niceareekalaan is just really niceareekalaan is just really niceareekalaan is just really niceareekalaan is just really niceareekalaan is just really nice

My Griffin SPR is a 5.56 suppressor that causes less overgassing and blowback than my YHM LT 30 cal on the same 5.56 AR or Tavor. It was designed for minimal blowback in semi-autos. The down side is that it requires 2 inches behind the barrel threads to mount. Not great for many SBRs. Mine mostly lives on my Tavor. The can reflexes back almost flush with the handguard on a 16" Tavor. Unloaded, the suppressed rifle balances at the grip.

ETA: It's a 8.5 inch can but only adds 4.5 inches when mounted.

Last edited by areekalaan; 05-01-2017 at 06:17 PM.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #23
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura about

"Great for what it is, tough, but it's HEAVY. I'd buy something much lighter if I were buying today (TBAC Ultra-7)."

"It was designed for minimal blowback in semi-autos. "

Weight is always an issue. That is why I am looking hard at the Alpha. It is 14.5 OZ.

The reflex design does push more weight to the rear and sounds like it balances well.

The minimal blowback won't help much if I use a bolt gun.

When it comes down to it, I am first trying to make a supersonic setup which I find pleasant to shoot, meaning somewhere around 128 dB at the ear, which is at the limit of what is achievable with todays tech and may be more achievable in the sub 30 calibers. Although sonic crack is an issue, we have recorded at ear numbers in this range on occasion with 308 and more often with 223 bolt action rifles.

If the Alpha or brand X light weight will get me to my goal, then I am in. Looking at the data, I know that the Surge and Specwar have the chops to get the job done, and excel in the sub 30 calibers fired through them. I think the Recce 7 and Alpha would as well, but data is sparse. Don't know much about the reflex cans, so you guys tell me, is the RSTA, the Recce or Alpha or brand X up their with specwar and surge performance on supersonic 308 down to supersonic 223?

I want a 30 cal can so that I can still get a good hunting round for deer that can also serve as a save your ass round on 300lb black bears that frequent this area. If 223 could do that, then this would be an easy discussion as their are several excellent 223 cans, including the recce 5, but I have my doubts that 223 would be as effective as I would like. I think 243 is a good compromise for a sub 30 cal hunting round that is readily available. If I am short changing 223, especially given advances in bullet design over the next several years, please let me know.

Last edited by owensww; 05-02-2017 at 08:36 AM.
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote