NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Liberty Suppressors

Old 02-26-2019, 05:05 PM   #41
DethRokRyan

DethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
A lot of the factory ammo for revolvers is unjacketed lead. Is that a bad idea for suppressors or just dirtier than jacketed, with total jacket being cleanest, at least as far as lead fouling goes?

Still waiting on my Form 4 to clear.
Just dirtier. 22lr is pretty much all unjacketed lead, too...

ETA: you may not want to use round nose lead bullets in the tube mag of a lever gun, though. The theory is that too pointy of a bullet could sit just right and cause the primer on the bullet in front of it to detonate if the gun is dropped or under heavy recoil.

Last edited by DethRokRyan; 02-26-2019 at 05:10 PM.
DethRokRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #42
no4mk1t
Distinguished Rifleman

no4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud of

Quote:
A lot of the factory ammo for revolvers is unjacketed lead. Is that a bad idea for suppressors or just dirtier than jacketed, with total jacket being cleanest, at least as far as lead fouling goes?

Still waiting on my Form 4 to clear.
If you have a mystic, no worries, just clean as required.
If you have a sealed aluminum can, I would use only jacketed/plated/poly coated.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #43
Narsil
Creepy-Ass Cracka

Narsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
If you have a mystic, no worries, just clean as required.
If you have a sealed aluminum can, I would use only jacketed/plated/poly coated.

Scroll back up for the custom can. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what Dave used for the monocore. I assume aluminum but I don't know.

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."
—Al'Lan Mandragoran
Narsil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #44
no4mk1t
Distinguished Rifleman

no4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud of

Regardless, do the silicone oil treatment before shooting it. Makes it much easier to clean. Being you can't take the core off, it will be beneficial.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #45
Narsil
Creepy-Ass Cracka

Narsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to all

Quote:
Regardless, do the silicone oil treatment before shooting it. Makes it much easier to clean. Being you can't take the core off, it will be beneficial.

Pretend I have no idea of what you speak but am intrigued to learn more...

Noah at Liberty stated the core of my can is "...made of 303 SS, a standard strength steel with good corrosion and thermal cycling resistance due to its low carbon content."

—Al'Lan Mandragoran
Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #46
no4mk1t
Distinguished Rifleman

Quote:
Pretend I have no idea of what you speak but am intrigued to learn more...

There was an article somewhere on the net about warming the baffles either in an old toaster oven, or in your case, with a heat gun, and submerging them in silicone oil. The author of the article used DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, which you can find at any auto parts store. I opted for a thicker silicone oil that I found on Amazon. It's about the viscosity of pancake syrup. Clean everything, warm it up, dunk in the oil, and let the excess drip off.

Here's my SWR Spectre after 1200 rounds. The shiny spots are where I touched it with a Q-Tip.

This is the oil I used.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #47
Fulliautomatix

Fulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to allFulliautomatix is a name known to all

Were those 1200 rounds all on the same firearm? Pistol or rifle? CCI SV ammo?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #48
no4mk1t
Distinguished Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulliautomatix View Post
Were those 1200 rounds all on the same firearm? Pistol or rifle? CCI SV ammo?
Start reading at post #19.
https://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15935
Old 03-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #49
Narsil
Creepy-Ass Cracka

Quote:
There was an article somewhere on the net about warming the baffles either in an old toaster oven, or in your case, with a heat gun, and submerging them in silicone oil. The author of the article used DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, which you can find at any auto parts store. I opted for a thicker silicone oil that I found on Amazon. It's about the viscosity of pancake syrup. Clean everything, warm it up, dunk in the oil, and let the excess drip off...

Thank you!

You just let it drip for a half-hour or so afterward? You don't wipe it off of anything?

—Al'Lan Mandragoran
Old 03-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #50
no4mk1t
Distinguished Rifleman

Quote:
Thank you!

You just let it drip for a half-hour or so afterward? You don't wipe it off of anything?
I pulled them out and let it drip until the drops mostly stopped, a minute or two, then set them on a paper towel until I stacked them up and slid the tube over them. So there was a film of oil on them, but not enough to leak out the end caps once assembled.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #51
Narsil
Creepy-Ass Cracka

Seems reasonable! I've put some of that silicone oil on my Amazon wishlist for near-future purchase.

—Al'Lan Mandragoran