NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Stalking Rhino Industries

Old 07-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
brickwurx

brickwurx is on a distinguished road
Default Trying to contact Matt & Stalking Rhino

I spoke with Matt back in late August of last year about a custom adapter for a threaded can to fit a Griffin taper mount. Sent Matt the can and paid for work September 6th for the adapter and mount. Matt gave me a quote of 14 weeks give or take. It’s been over 44 weeks with no adapter. He did responded a few times up until early April, then nothing.

He sent me back my can after I requested he do so during the same time in April, said the part was finished, and told me he shipped the part off for a coating a month prior. Now I can't get him to respond at all, nothing. At this point I just want a refund, or conformation the part has shipped, If the part was ever fabricated to begin with.

Its been close to 11 months and I am out over $200 bucks. If anyone can get me any contact info other than a Stalking Rhino Email or business phone, or get in touch with Matt and let him know I would like to speak with him, please email or IM me.

I hate to be "That Guy", asking for assistance, but it shouldn't have come to this, and it is an extremely poor way to manage a business.

Thanks for any help.
John
brickwurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
doubloon
pew pew yum yum

doubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to beholddoubloon is a splendid one to behold

Send a PM to sinsir here on the board, he may notice it, assuming he's still working with SR.
doubloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
98_1LE

98_1LE is a glorious beacon of light98_1LE is a glorious beacon of light98_1LE is a glorious beacon of light98_1LE is a glorious beacon of light98_1LE is a glorious beacon of light98_1LE is a glorious beacon of light98_1LE is a glorious beacon of light

I know them feels. He finally came through for me. The workmanship is great. If he would have told it would take N months, I'd just wait.

In your case, I'd just wait. You will own the can for life. It will eventually show up.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
brickwurx

doubloon, Thank you, I took your suggested an IM'd Sinsir.

98_1LE- I have only spoken with Matt once, he seemed like a very nice guy. Possibly just very busy. Honestly, if he told me it may take longer than a returned ATF approved form1, I may have still rolled with it. After all, I had a tough time finding anyone local willing to make the adapter back then. And contacting Stalking Rhino was a long shot to begin with.

He isn't actually working on the can at all (an old AAC Ranger 2 direct thread), but he requested I send him the can to insure alignment of the adapter. The project was for a 1/2x28 male to Griffin taper mount adapter. I needed it for an SBR truck gun, wouldn't fit in the lock box with the can threaded on, and I didnt want exposed barrel threads getting banged up. Not a perfect fix, but an adapter would allow for the use of the griffin brake, and a can that is a bit more QD. I do not want to leave a nicer can in the truck box, so it was worth the adapter cost for the AAC, I don't use it for anything other than that specific rifle.

Hopefully, its just a serious lack of communication and all will end well.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries

sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all

Brickwurks - pm sent

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
brickwurx

Replied, thank you for offering to look into it for me. Fingers crossed on this one.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
sinsir

sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwurx View Post
Replied, thank you for offering to look into it for me. Fingers crossed on this one.
He should have called you, I forwarded your contact info to him, pointed him to this thread, and highly suggested that he contact you immediately.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
brickwurx

Sinsir, he did not call, but your help did get me an email update from him. He wrote that the adapter is complete and in house. But the Griffin brake rusted and he is waiting on another.?. Per his offer I requested he send the adapter, I already have Griffin adapters on a few rifles, and also have one on the truck gun, ordered it months ago because of the wait.

I've got at least four other Griffin brakes mounted and ran often, I have never seen any of them show signs of rust. Some are run pretty hard, but I guess it is possible. I am not familiar with what Matt had to do to make the adapter, I assumed CNC, but I cannot rule out his methods, or the possibility of rust. But, I did ask him to send the rusted adapter if the rust is superficial. I can take care of that pretty quickly, plus it is the adapter I need, not the mount.

Hopefully this story has a happy ending, and soon. I cannot thank you enough for you going out of your way to help. If you ever end up in Kentucky, say for the machine gun shoot at Knob Creek, or for the Kentucky Derby, you have my contact info, get in touch. At a minimum I owe you dinner and beer.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
sinsir

You owe me nothing at all. If I do get back to KY either for work or play, I'll hit you up as I enjoy meeting people when I'm traveling. Ive spent some time in Louisville for both, and love shooting photography at cave hill cemetery. That's in the broad ripple area right?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
brickwurx

Cave hill cemetery sits in the Highlands off Bardstown Road. Bardtown road runs from Bardstown Kentucky, (huge for Bourbon distilleries), all the way to downtown Louisville, a good 40 mile stretch if not a bit longer.

I live about 20 minutes from Downtown Louisville on Bardstown road, I pass Cave Hill everyday heading to work. Its great place to visit as far as cemeteries go, has a lot of history, extremely peaceful for being right in the middle of everything. I visit every few months.

The highlands are chocked full of Irish pubs, off putting for the name, one would assume Scottish. But not one Scottish drinking hole exists in the Highlands. One or two of the irsh pubs are authentic, most are not. But everything in that area is worth visiting. Its a busy spot and always welcoming. Maybe a tad liberal, but the pubs keep folks from getting too fancy!

If I every win the big one, I've always said I would build the first Scottish pub on the block. Then to stay true to my heritage, run raids on the Irish pubs. All in good fun of course, I have zero issue with Irish pubs!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
sinsir

That's right... Bardstown Rd..... Broad ripple is in Indianapolis...

I seem to also recall a place called - the paper tiger?

Old 07-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #12
brickwurx

Used to be a rough neck "hardcore" bar called the Toy Tiger. Some 20 plus years ago it was big for large bands to visit on their way to bigger venues. Aerosmith, Warrant, and supposedly RHCP visited that place. It dropped in popularity mid 90's, even ran a stent as a female then male revue night club. Been shut down for a good 8-10 years. Now its a gas station.

There was also a massive bar across from the cemetery, BAR Louisville, and Phoenix Hill taverns. All gone, Phoenix hill closed 3-4 years back, they just took down the entire block for some fancy condos currenlty in construction. Times are changing.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
sinsir

Yes I remember it being a venue for music, and then a sort of strip club... It's been about 10 years since I've spent any time in Louisville. There were a few good coffee shops next to an indie record shop iirc. I had fun exploring while I was there.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #14
brickwurx

I am sorry to report that this will not be a positive end to the communication and or business dealings with Matt at Stalking Rhino. I wrote earlier that communication ended months into a completely missed deadline for an adapter and Griffin break combo. Only after I wrote on this forum that I could not get in touch with Matt seeking help, with the very helpful assistance of SINSIR, did Matt bother to reach out to me.

I DO NOT believe he lost any of my emails as he wrote me, he just simply chose not to respond to my inquiries or request. I also DO NOT believe he had to wait on the Griffin mount, or that the mount “rusted” so he wasn’t able to send it to me as planned. He never did send me the Griffin mount as paid for or promised, and I don’t imagine I will ever see it. I did finally get the adapter he was commissioned to make, just not the Griffin brake.

It took more than eleven months to get that order. I had a form 1 approved by the ATF in less time. My guess, he never ordered the Griffin mount because he already had the specs to make the adapter. I sent him my can which he returned months later, and months before making the mount. One would assume if the adapter was made specifically for a host can, the threads would be a solid tight fit. On this adapter the threads are quite loose, wobble, and only lock up as the adapter is completely seated, leading me to believe he made the adapter well after sending my can back, it was never test fit, or custom made for the suppressor.

While Matt was very friendly early on, and had no issue with emails right up until I sent him payment, businesses contact after that were a joke. Not only do I feel he left a customer hanging for a year while he worked on other projects (even keeping me informed would have been the least of which he could have done, I would have understood), I feel he took my money and never delivered all that he billed and promised. I do not care how great of a machinist he could be, or has been as stated by other customers; I care about how good of a machinist or business person he currently is. And with me, he was not.

Hell, he could have picked up the phone anytime over the past year and said “Man, I’m really sorry, been swamped, and it looks like I may not be able to get to your project, I’ve got to get you a refund”. At least that amount of professional honesty I could have respected. Instead, I was ignored, and after a year, I still have not gotten all of what I paid for.

SINSIR- My offer still stands for all of your help. If you find your way back to Louisville, look me up.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
sinsir

Let me see what I can do

Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #16
brickwurx

Sinsir- I really appreciate the offer, however, I don't think its worth the effort at this point. After searching and reading through lots of posts, on this forum and others, I've noticed a common theme, you shouldn't have to be the person rattling cages every time a customer has issues with SRI.

It shows to your character, and I thank you for the offer. After deciding to write my last post, I am going to consider the experience a hard lesson learned.

SRI can keep the money for the Griffin brake, they will never see another penny from me, or anyone else that asks me of my honest opinion if I can help it.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #17
Nathaniel Crunkleton

Nathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to all

Quote:
you shouldn't have to be the person rattling cages every time a customer has issues with SRI.
It's actually what he's been appointed to do via an agreement with Matt.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to all

Quote:
I also DO NOT believe he had to wait on the Griffin mount, or that the mount “rusted” so he wasn’t able to send it to me as planned.
I believe the griffin mount could have rusted. I had the same thing happen to me with an SPR mount. I checked out the suppressor at the dealer and it looked great but by the time the stamp came in the brake was pitted to hell. I think Griffin had a bad batch in roughly the time frame you are referring to.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 AM   #19
Bendersquint

Bendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really nice

Am I hard to get ahold of? Yes often I am, especially when we are under a heavy workload. I know it won't help you now but we identified the issue and are taking steps to prevent this from happening in the future.

I can only respond to emails that I receive. I do not and have never chosen not to respond to an email.

We keep very few COTS parts on hand and as disclosed the mount had to be ordered. Your job is still listed as incomplete pending a new mount, we haven't closed it out. You have the option to wait for the mount or receive a refund of the mount price. If I don't hear anything by next Wednesday(8/30/17) I will assume you want a refund and proceed accordingly.

Stainless steel can and does rust. Below is a picture of an AAC Tirant9 that was sent in a few years back that was covered in rust. The rusted parts are made of the SAME alloy as the mount. Stainless has a HIGHER resistance to corrosion/rust due to it's chromium content but you can't take the iron out of stainless steel. For what its worth I have received SS fresh from the mill with corrosion/rust on it in from several alloys of SS.

Your can was sent in so that the threads could be gaged. The threads were gaged and several mounts were made with the can present and all were tight when fully engaged as designed.

This is the FIRST I have heard of any concern of its fit. If you want it checked out I will be happy to send you a shipping label. If there is a problem it will be fixed.

Quote:
I am sorry to report that this will not be a positive end to the communication and or business dealings with Matt at Stalking Rhino. I wrote earlier that communication ended months into a completely missed deadline for an adapter and Griffin break combo. Only after I wrote on this forum that I could not get in touch with Matt seeking help, with the very helpful assistance of SINSIR, did Matt bother to reach out to me.

I DO NOT believe he lost any of my emails as he wrote me, he just simply chose not to respond to my inquiries or request. I also DO NOT believe he had to wait on the Griffin mount, or that the mount “rusted” so he wasn’t able to send it to me as planned. He never did send me the Griffin mount as paid for or promised, and I don’t imagine I will ever see it. I did finally get the adapter he was commissioned to make, just not the Griffin brake.

It took more than eleven months to get that order. I had a form 1 approved by the ATF in less time. My guess, he never ordered the Griffin mount because he already had the specs to make the adapter. I sent him my can which he returned months later, and months before making the mount. One would assume if the adapter was made specifically for a host can, the threads would be a solid tight fit. On this adapter the threads are quite loose, wobble, and only lock up as the adapter is completely seated, leading me to believe he made the adapter well after sending my can back, it was never test fit, or custom made for the suppressor.

While Matt was very friendly early on, and had no issue with emails right up until I sent him payment, businesses contact after that were a joke. Not only do I feel he left a customer hanging for a year while he worked on other projects (even keeping me informed would have been the least of which he could have done, I would have understood), I feel he took my money and never delivered all that he billed and promised. I do not care how great of a machinist he could be, or has been as stated by other customers; I care about how good of a machinist or business person he currently is. And with me, he was not.

Hell, he could have picked up the phone anytime over the past year and said “Man, I’m really sorry, been swamped, and it looks like I may not be able to get to your project, I’ve got to get you a refund”. At least that amount of professional honesty I could have respected. Instead, I was ignored, and after a year, I still have not gotten all of what I paid for.

SINSIR- My offer still stands for all of your help. If you find your way back to Louisville, look me up.
Bendersquint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #20
Bendersquint

Bendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really nice

Quote:
Sinsir- I really appreciate the offer, however, I don't think its worth the effort at this point. After searching and reading through lots of posts, on this forum and others, I've noticed a common theme, you shouldn't have to be the person rattling cages every time a customer has issues with SRI.

It shows to your character, and I thank you for the offer. After deciding to write my last post, I am going to consider the experience a hard lesson learned.

SRI can keep the money for the Griffin brake, they will never see another penny from me, or anyone else that asks me of my honest opinion if I can help it.
Shawn(sinsir) is a part of Stalking Rhino and the forums is one of the things he keeps an eye on. It keeps me off the forums and keeps the machines running getting work out the door.
Bendersquint is offline   Reply With Quote