NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > SilencerCo / SWR

Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
stxhunter

stxhunter is on a distinguished road
Default 17 Hornet and SWR Spectre II

Will the Spectre II be able to handle the 17 hornet?
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Gibal
Procrastinator

Gibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to behold

Not trying be rude but the first google result:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@SilencerCo
Both the .17 Hornet and 4.6x30 will likely be okay however we have not done any testing with these calibers. I can't say they are good to go unless we are sure that they wont cause any unforeseen problems.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...f=127&t=117826
Gibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
laxguy59

laxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nice

they also said the 17 Win Super mag was okay, and this is just a hair faster.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
ATCDoktor

ATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to all

I shoot a Ruger 77/17 in 17 hornet (not 17 HMR) and have used my Spetre II on it with no problems.

It sounds good. Definitely worth threading and suppressing.

Quote:
they also said the 17 Win Super mag was okay, and this is just a hair faster.
17 Winchester Super mag is a rimfire based on a 22 Nail Gun blank that launches a 20 grain bullet at 3000 FPS.

The 17 Hornet is a centerfire based on a necked down 22 hornet that launches the same 20 grain bullet at 3600 FPS.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_W...r_Super_Magnum
ATCDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
97catintenn

97catintenn will become famous soon enough

Which one has the highest fps?
97catintenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
srt-4_uk

srt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to all

the super mag.
srt-4_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
stxhunter

Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't sound like a definitive answer from the powers that be. Sounds like it will be ok, but don't want to risk the can.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
stxhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
I shoot a Ruger 77/17 in 17 hornet (not 17 HMR) and have used my Spetre II on it with no problems.

It sounds good. Definitely worth threading and suppressing.
How much of a difference did you feel it made?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
ATCDoktor

ATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to allATCDoktor is a name known to all

Quote:
Which one has the highest fps?
Of the ones you have pictured, the 17 Winchester Super Mag is the fastest, but that's not the round being discussed by the OP.

Here's the 17 Ruger Hornet compared to the 17 Wnchester Super Mag:

And ballistically it stomps a mudhole in the 17 Winchester Super Mag's ass.
Quote:

How much of a difference did you feel it made?

Considerable.

Over the years the areas I hunt small game have become more urbanized.

It's still legal to hunt in these areas but (in my mind) safety required a small (quiet) fast moving bullet that's not prone to ricochet's that landowners wouldn't complain about (noise wise).

I have used the 17 HMR extensively in these areas over the years and while extremely quiet and flat shooting (compared to the 22lr/22Mag unsuppressed) you were limited to game the size of rabbits and fox (unless you opted for head shots) on Coyote's and bobcat. Range is significantly hampered with the 17 HMR when taking larger game as well.

The 17 Ruger Hornet (suppressed) with the SWR Spectre II has a little more "pop" as compared to a full sized 223/5.56 can (just a little) but it takes all the "edge" off the report and is nearly as quiet as a suppressed 17 HMR (to my ear).

Here's a crude video that will give you something of a "baseline" with regards to the level of suppression your looking at on the 17 Hornet.

The close rabbit is at 200 yards and the far rabbit is at 225 or so (both shot with Hornady 17 Hornet 20 grain Vmax Factory ammo):

When you watch the video you will notice that the "far" rabbit isn't startled by the sound of the rifle being fired, he jumps when the bullet smacks the close rabbits head. The sound of the bullet smacking rabbit "number one" was louder than the sound of the rifle (to my ear).

With regards to the 17 Ruger Hornet, (if you haven't already figured it out) I'm all for suppressing it and your Spectre II (if you have one) works well on the platform.

Gratuitous 17 Hornet Pics:

Ruger 17 Honet with Gemtech TREK Titanium

If you can't tell I'm heavily "invested" in the 17 Ruger Hornet.

What I know about the cartridge (and I don't know it all) I learned from shooting and reloading several thousand rounds.

It's super accurate (half inch groups at 100 yards) with factory ammo (and my handloads of 9.3 grains of L'il Gun and a 20 grain Hornady ZMAX bullet) and it's trajectory with 20 grain bullet at 3600 fps mirrors that of a .223/556 55 grain bullet at 3000fps (sighted dead on at 200 yards it's 6" low at 300).

If you have a 17 Hornet and a Spectre II I wholeheartedly recommend having it threaded (especially if your state allows hunting with a suppressor).

Last edited by ATCDoktor; 12-09-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
phoenix
Official NFATalk Mascot™

phoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to all

one rabbit did the harlem shake, one rabbit took a nap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
Rule #4: some things are worth fighting for.

Rule #5: everything worth fighting for cannot be bought with money.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
ATCDoktor

Quote:
one rabbit did the harlem shake, one rabbit took a nap
I have found that head shots normally stimulate involuntary convulsive reactions on jackrabbits (regardless of caliber or how much of their head is left intact).

I normally edit it out on videos I post online as some people find it disturbing.

I'm not a Vet or a neurologist but I'd hazard to guess that they are past hurting by the time the bullet exits their skulls.

Last edited by ATCDoktor; 12-10-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
phoenix
Official NFATalk Mascot™

phoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
I have found that head shots normally stimulate involuntary convulsive reactions on jackrabbits (regardless of caliber or how much of their head is left intact).

I normally edit it out on videos I post online as some people find it disturbing.

I'm not a Vet or a neurologist but I'd hazard to guess that they are past hurting by the time the bullet exits their skulls.
word. nerves do wierd things. just commenting on how long he convulsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
Rule #4: some things are worth fighting for.

Rule #5: everything worth fighting for cannot be bought with money.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
stxhunter

ATCDoktor - thanks for the heads up! Now I wonder how the octane 45hd would handle it?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Nathaniel Crunkleton

Nathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post
ATCDoktor - thanks for the heads up! Now I wonder how the octane 45hd would handle it?
Both are CTA stainless baffles. 17 Hornet is of comparable energy, but of much lesser momentum. I would hazard that the 45HD would handle 17 Hornet without damage. Obviously that opinion's worth what you paid for it.

Would be interested to see how well the round suppresses on a larger volume can that also has a larger orifice.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 AM   #15
Berkley

Berkley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
one rabbit did the harlem shake, one rabbit took a nap.
Lol. They always do the harlem shake when I'm shooting.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote