NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Liberty Suppressors

View Poll Results: What is your favorite hunting caliber?
308 WIN / 30-06 22 57.89%
270 WIN 2 5.26%
6.5 Creedmore / 260 REM 1 2.63%
223 REM / 243 WIN 3 7.89%
Something obscure... 9 23.68%
300 Blackout 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #21
Kristofer_G
Hobby Gun Sunday Driver

Kristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to all

.270 Weatherby.

110gr Tipped TSX at 3780fps for antelopes and deer.

129gr LRX at 3450fps for everything else.
Kristofer_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #22
hypervdh
Not a true NFA junkie

hypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafsnguy View Post
It's available to buy. Right now seeing S&B 110 FMJ for 12.34 a box. A while back I bought like 1K rounds of the S&B for 9.99 a box and just reload the brass. But yeah it isn't as available as some of the other rounds. I enjoy reloading so either way I am good.
That's good to know. I guess it has been a few years since I was looking at building a 6.8. Probably right after sandy hook.
hypervdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #23
ncorry

ncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensww View Post

Maybe a 6.8 SPCII Leonidas purpose built for supersonic ammunition?

I have begged Dave several times over the past 18 months or so to convert my Leo to a 6.8 and even approached a different SOT about it. No takers.

Yet.

I'd think with a 12.5" AR Performance pipe and some kind of adjustable GB it would be wicked. As it stands, the 12.5" ARP with a TBAC Ultra 7 gets it done.

As long as we're on the subject, an integral unit like the LEO with a 12.5" or so 308 or 243 barrel built around one of the light weight LR-308 offerings would get my attention. Also would likely need an AGB.

For the record, the deer around me aren't big bodied. A 220 pound buck is an absolute monster and there might be 80 of them killed in the entire state each season. I wouldn't hesitate to send a 95 grain Barnes handrolled 6.8 at a deer at 250 yards.

Last edited by ncorry; 03-03-2017 at 02:29 PM.
ncorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #24
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorry View Post
I have begged Dave several times over the past 18 months or so to convert my Leo to a 6.8 and even approached a different SOT about it. No takers.

Yet.

I'd think with a 12.5" AR Performance pipe and some kind of adjustable GB it would be wicked. As it stands, the 12.5" ARP with a TBAC Ultra 7 gets it done.

As long as we're on the subject, an integral unit like the LEO with a 12.5" or so 308 or 243 barrel built around one of the light weight LR-308 offerings would get my attention. Also would likely need an AGB.

For the record, the deer around me aren't big bodied. A 220 pound buck is an absolute monster and there might be 80 of them killed in the entire state each season. I wouldn't hesitate to send a 95 grain Barnes handrolled 6.8 at a deer at 250 yards.
If HPA passes, whoever does this will be ahead of the game. The majority of people will want a supersonic round. Coupled with the AR platform = a ton of units sold.

Would you calm the port noise with an adjustable gas block, heavy buffer, or long stroke piston system?

Last edited by owensww; 03-03-2017 at 02:41 PM.
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #25
DethRokRyan

DethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really nice

Since we're talking suppressors and hunting, I'd like to point out an issue I've run into:

Several suppressor manufacturers now make "hunting cans", liberty included. This is great, but my issue is with thread pitch offerings-- they're all still 1/2-28 or 5/8-24. A lot of my and my dad's hunting rifles are 30cal, and with a sporter weight barrel, there isn't enough material to thread them 5/8, and 1/2 makes the walls too thin. 9/16-24 is usually the answer, but then I have to use an adapter (read: add a failure point) to mount the can.

Sure would be cool if manufacturers would make 9/16-24 a standard offering, or at least an available option...wink wink nudge nudge.

I think it will be especially important to do so if the HPA passes, as I bet more people will be wanting to have their good 'ol deer guns threaded, but aren't going to want to chop their barrels down to a larger part of the taper or buy new barrels in order to do so.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #26
Glocktogo

Glocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensww View Post
This makes me wonder, which of the calibers above would get up to adequate velocity in the shortest barrel length, that would be capable for hunting medium game up to a large white tail or perhaps a mule deer, let's say to 200-300 yards? That would cover a lot of peoples needs and keep it handy.

Maybe a 6.8 SPCII Leonidas purpose built for supersonic ammunition?
That's right in the 6.8 II's wheelhouse for sure. Say a 10.5-12.5 LW or recon profile barrel with a short, fat, Ti can? Hunting heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
My only issue with 6.8 is you almost have to reload to shoot it. There isn't that much available to buy. This is not a cost based thing. I know a lot of people who buy 2 boxes of hunting ammo and it last them 5 years or more.

Are you trying to find a caliber to build a gun in? If that is the case I think there are more people who buy ammo than reload. My 2 cents.
My local Wallyworld and Academy Sports carry 6.8 hunting and FMJ ammo.

I'll probably reload for it, once I shoot most of the 1,200 rounds of factory fodder I have.

Quote:

Yet.

The only reason I went for a 16" vs 12.5 is because my state hasn't approved cans for hunting on public property, only private.
Glocktogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #27
sub
Liberty Suppressors

sub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethRokRyan View Post
Since we're talking suppressors and hunting, I'd like to point out an issue I've run into:

Sure would be cool if manufacturers would make 9/16-24 a standard offering, or at least an available option...wink wink nudge nudge.

We should talk... I can probably solve this problem for you.

Dave

Purveyors in fine firearm sound suppressors.

"There is no such thing as a good tax." - Winston Churchill.
sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #28
sub
Liberty Suppressors

sub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nice

Quote:

Yet.

I hear you, I hear you... geez, this guy never gives up!!!

We are looking at calibers right now that are currently the most prolific, we need this intel to better align what we do with what you do...

Make sense?

Dave

Old 03-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #29
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I hear you, I hear you... geez, this guy never gives up!!!

We are looking at calibers right now that are currently the most prolific, we need this intel to better align what we do with what you do...

Make sense?

Dave
The guys at Lucky Gunner published a chart in 2013 listing some of the most common ammunition they sold in order by revenue. Might be worth giving them or a similar online ammo retailer a call to see their trends.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/2013-ammo-stats/

Last edited by owensww; 03-03-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #30
Yondering

Yondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
night hog hunting ... the difference in drt shots between 556/ 300BLK and a 12.5" 6.8 is large.
Just curious - in the comparison above, are you talking about subsonic 300 Blk? Or full power supers with good bullets? Or crappy supers with 308 FMJ bullets?
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #31
Bulwyeth

Bulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethRokRyan View Post

Several suppressor manufacturers now make "hunting cans", liberty included. This is great, but my issue is with thread pitch offerings-- they're all still 1/2-28 mor 5/8-24. A lot of my and my dad's hunting rifles are 30cal, and with a sporter weight barrel, there isn't enough material to thread them 5/8, and 1/2 makes the walls too thin. 9/16-24 is usually the answer, but then I have to use an adapter (read: add a failure point) to mount the can.

I think it will be especially important to do so if the HPA passes, as I bet more people will be wanting to have their good 'ol deer guns threaded, but aren't going to want to chop their barrels down to a larger part of the taper or buy new barrels in order to do so.
Word. The other issue is that a lot of calibers for "hunting" rifles also have shitty twist rates, so you'd end up having to rebarrel and then re-stock them so you could roll sub rounds for them to take full advantage of the can.

I bite my tongue so much it hurts, but at the same time I'm at a loss for words.
The things I've seen should've left me blind, so it makes me happy that I am losing my mind.
Anthrax - Big Fat

Experience: Something gained right after you needed it.
Bulwyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #32
propeine
Wannabe Gunsmith

propeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to all

Surprised there isn't more 260 rem used or 6.5x55 in a mauser
Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #33
Bulwyeth

Bulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeine View Post
Surprised there isn't more 260 rem used or 6.5x55 in a mauser
6.5x55 swede is a favorite of mine. The issue is finding a rifle I like. Unlike twinsen, I've always had good luck with Remington 700's. Finding one in 6.5x55 is a challenge though. I've been hoping they'll do the CDL SF in it soon.

I bite my tongue so much it hurts, but at the same time I'm at a loss for words.
The things I've seen should've left me blind, so it makes me happy that I am losing my mind.
Anthrax - Big Fat

Old 03-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #34
owensww
Not A Clue

Interested in seeing how 6.8 supersonic fairs with a decent can . Here are some Wikipedia numbers of 6.8 vs 300blk pressures and case capacity. Interesting that the pressure is lower for 6.8. The case capacity is a bit higher for 6.8 though, so likely produces more gas volume than 300. but similar to 223, albeit at lower pressure. I'm guessing it is slightly quieter than 223 out of a 30 Cal Can. So which 30 cal can is best for 223? Their is a group that makes integrals for supersonic rifles, but you would be laying down 3k for a Ruger 700 integral. That stings.

Case capacity 34.8-36.9 gr H2O[1]
Maximum pressure (C.I.P) 42,000 psi (290 MPa)
Maximum pressure (SAAMI) 54,000 psi (370 MPa)

Compared to 300 BLK

Case capacity 26 grains H2O
Maximum pressure (SAAMI) 55,000 psi (380 MPa)
Maximum pressure (CIP) 62,366 psi (430.00 MPa)
Maximum CUP 52000 CUP

Last edited by owensww; 03-06-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #35
Twinsen
Cheeki Breeki Moderator

Twinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwyeth View Post
6.5x55 swede is a favorite of mine. The issue is finding a rifle I like.
Bwuh? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Mauser
Twinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #36
Bulwyeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
I had a M1896 that I bought in 1990 ish and stupidly sold before I discovered reusing actions. Oh to have had the benefits of the internet back then.

Anthrax - Big Fat

Old 03-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #37
copenhagen

copenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to allcopenhagen is a name known to all

What the fuck no 300 BLK on the list? I've killed >10 bucks with that Barnes 110gr 300 Carolina Thicket Master. Knocks 'em in the dirt.
copenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #38
Twinsen
Cheeki Breeki Moderator

Twinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
What the fuck no 300 BLK on the list? I've killed >10 bucks with that Barnes 110gr 300 Carolina Thicket Master. Knocks 'em in the dirt.
Good call. Mall ninjas like us got our 300 BLKs and the guys that don't know what an internet are all use .30-30.
Twinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #39
sub
Liberty Suppressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
I didn't even notice that! Wow, what a misstep on my part!! I apologize and will see what I can do to get it on there now. Geez...

Dave

Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #40
ncorry

ncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
Just curious - in the comparison above, are you talking about subsonic 300 Blk? Or full power supers with good bullets? Or crappy supers with 308 FMJ bullets?
Reloading 125 SSTs as fast as I can safely.

In the 6.8, 120 SST over 27.5 grains of AA2200 at 2.295 out of 12.5" barrel runs 2420 FPS, zeroed at 100 Y- at 100 yards, delivers 1304 ft/lbs and at 200, it drops 4.5" and delivers 1082 ft/lbs.

In the 300BLK Leo, 125 SST over 18.8 H110 (or Win 296) at 2.100" out of 8" barrel runs 2035 FPS, zeroed at 100 Yards- at 100 yards, 897 ft/lbs and at 200, it drops 8.2" and delivers 694 ft/lbs.

At 100 yards, the 6.8 delivers 45% more energy. At 200, 56% more.