NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > American Manufacturing

Old 08-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
M_Klos

M_Klos is on a distinguished road
Default Our sound test results.....

Well we got stuck inside because it was pouring outside. Everything seemed to be well on par with industry standards but I do I do however question everything that was supersonic. No matter what it was ( either 223 or 30) it all tested virtually identical. Even my original Triple X from the mid 90's tested the same as the latest ones and I or anyone else who listens can tell a huge difference between them when firing outside. I'm thinking it's because we were inside of a narrow concrete box with a metal ceiling. I know Bill says it doesn't matter but I have my doubts. I also know other companies do indoor testing but they also have sound absorbing material on the walls and ceilings to prevent the wave reverberation and pressure wave propagation. It also raised doubts after reading Al Paulson's book where he discusses indoor testing as opposed to outdoor testing. Bill has offered together to retest outside as originally planned and we'll coordinate it.
M_Klos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Haywood Jablome
3-Legged Workhorse

Haywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to all

In my experience with rifle cans I have not been able to tell the difference in any of the quality brands besides the tone maybe. To me, my $500 Ranger - sounds as good as the top dollar sure fire or whatever else is the brand of the day.
Haywood Jablome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
jaredr

jaredr is just really nicejaredr is just really nicejaredr is just really nicejaredr is just really nicejaredr is just really nicejaredr is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Jesus View Post
In my experience with rifle cans I have not been able to tell the difference in any of the quality brands besides the tone maybe. To me, my $500 Ranger - sounds as good as the top dollar sure fire or whatever else is the brand of the day.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. Firing 5.56 from an AR I cannot tell the differecent with the naked ear between my m42k, 762-sd or Yankee hill .30 thread on can.
jaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Twinsen
Cheeki Breeki Moderator

Twinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to behold

I hope the retest goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Jesus View Post
my $500 Ranger - sounds as good as... sure fire
I'm so sorry. I didn't know. Maybe somebody will buy it off you?

Last edited by Twinsen; 08-07-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Twinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #5
Haywood Jablome
3-Legged Workhorse

Haywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
I hope the retest goes well.

I'm so sorry. I didn't know. Maybe somebody will buy it off you?
Pre Remington, turd burgler.
Haywood Jablome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 AM   #6
ArevaloSOCOM
I ain't got time to bleed

ArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to allArevaloSOCOM is a name known to all

I still have an opening for Aug 29th. We could run tests that weekend if it works for you? Let me know.

Looks like the SRI shoot isn't going to happen.

I've metered a Gemtech G5 (2 different ammo both @29 NSR)and Surefire FA556-212 ( 29 and 25 NSR)can at an indoor police range much like the one we used for our range day. All concrete with metal bullet trap. It was for a silencer contract with a rep from Gemtech and Surefire there to let them T&E.

The only other outdoor test I've seen documented of a G5 was Titsworth showing 2 tests both roughly 31 NSR.

The only other test I've seen of the 556-212 was done on video indoor by Silvers with a 29.7 NSR.

My NSRs seem consistent IMHO to other tests performed elsewhere.

I certainly have no problem meeting back up to meter outside. I had a great time during our last visit!!

Only other info I could find on this topic:

Silencer shop performed an indoor and outdoor test.
http://youtu.be/Tw9aZIhLPUM

For the outdoor rifle test: 164.78 -132.3 = NSR of 32.48
For the indoor rifle test: 167.8 - 135.88 = NSR of 31.92

I can see no real difference IMHO .