NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > SilencerCo / SWR

Old 09-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
allen16323

allen16323 has a spectacular aura aboutallen16323 has a spectacular aura about
Default Trifecta mount question!

The specwar Trifecta mounts, was wondering if they index or torque to the muzzle or to the barrel shoulder? I have a threaded barrel that the threads are concentric but are cut way long in the tooth. I ask because I have a few options it it indexes/torques to the shoulder I can have the break bored out and taped, hoping it is in the shoulder. Cannot really cut the muzzle back because I am right on the end of 26" oal rule and don't want to SBR it but could always pin and weld the brake.

Thanks in advance for info.

Allen
Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
wtrski76

wtrski76 is on a distinguished road

They index on the shoulder. The Silencerco thread spec shows .600 +/-.010" from the shoulder to the muzzle, with a .600 min OD at the shoulder. The threads are a bit deeper than that on the muzzle device, but not sure without putting a caliper to it. If they are too long, you can always get a thread spacer that they sell to use for use on .22 cans with short threads when using them on rifles with long threads like this one:
http://www.silencershop.com/accessor...er-1-2x28.html

Last edited by wtrski76; 09-21-2016 at 05:53 PM.
wtrski76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to all

silencerco uses washer type shims for timing brakes, so I would say they tighten to the shoulder. You just need a precision cut washer / spacer to fill the gap.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
allen16323

Thought it was the shoulder, so boring the brake out is probably the best option. Don't know about a spacer because tolerance stacking could be an issue would it not? Been so long since I worked in the mechanical end of drafting I can't remember, guess I worked in the construction end too long.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
wtrski76

wtrski76 is on a distinguished road

If you just need one of the spacers and a timing shim or two, I wouldn't worry about tolerance stacking - they are made for this specific purpose Now, if you need 3 or 4 spacers, that may be a different story. How long are your threads?
wtrski76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
allen16323

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrski76 View Post
If you just need one of the spacers and a timing shim or two, I wouldn't worry about tolerance stacking - they are made for this specific purpose Now, if you need 3 or 4 spacers, that may be a different story. How long are your threads?
Will measure for sure when I return home. Am in town gathering parts for a DIY ss tumbler at the moment.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
DethRokRyan

DethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of lightDethRokRyan is a glorious beacon of light

If that brake has a nitride finish (and I think the Trifecta brakes do), boring it out is gonna be difficult.