NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Dead Air Silencers

Old 03-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
laxguy59

laxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nice
Default My tour of Dead Air Armament

So today I was lucky enough to run up the street and check out where Dead Air Armament is making their suppressors. It was a very cool experience and makes me want to get a Sandman even more now.

The first things I saw when I stepped in were the five suppressors pictured here. I thought I may be seeing some unrealesed tech, but it turns out these are not silencers at all. These are the models used for photo purposes and exterior design mock up. The two silencers on the left were some of the original exterior mock ups that were later passed up in favor of the newer, and in my opinion, sleeker design. The muzzlebrake is also just a model made of aluminum.

Seen here is a mchinist taking the measurements on literally every "locking" ring, which is part of the QD system. The qualoty control in this facility was very apparent. Additionally, a precise machine is also used to guarantee specs on all the parts and mounts at the beggining of each day and then rechecked hourly on top of the critical measurement checks made on every unit by the machinists.

Before final production, the ring was modified so that if installed backwards during reassembly it won't begin to lock or "ratchet" down, so you won't accidentally damage your suppressor.

These are the Stellite baffles which make the suppressor insanely durable.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
laxguy59

laxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nicelaxguy59 is just really nice

I caught the sandmans just before blasting and cerakote as they were being washed.

The cerakote oven the sandmans are getting cooked in.

This was something I really liked, the items that come in a Sandman box. It's a full owners manual with actual instructions. I think too many companioes now a days simply put a brochure with links to the webpage with instructions, this was a nice manual with a quality feel.
Additionally it came with a Dead Air Armament decal and a Nomex Suppressor sock. Now I'm used to pouches and I like pouches, but this is not just a sock. The Nomex sock is rated for serious heat. It isn't going to melt like many of the other molle pouch fabrics will, and its heat resistance makes it an impromptu suppressor glove for when you need to take a hot can off.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
laxguy59

Back to the hardware, the sandman has a fully welded core.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgYC...ature=youtu.be

Here's something that hasn't been released, or at least I hadn't seen about the sandman yet, The endcap on a Sandman threads into an insert. This means that different endcaps will be available for purchase, and a future 556 cal endcap is a likely accessory for those who use the can on 556 weapons as well.

The endcaps are easily removed with snap ring pliers. The endcap and the mounting system is nitrided to prevent scratching.

This is the safe, its full of goodies. I got to fiddle with the titanium tubes which are insanely light, but the Sandman Ti didn't seem to be in full production.

The sandman's quick dettach screws onto these heat treated threads. It was indicated that in the future different type mounts may be available for the suppressor, so an owner could have multiple mounting options. Similar to the Silencerco MAAD mounting system is how I would describe that.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
laxguy59

These are the first operational "Sandman" suppressors. These were original test units to test baffle designs.

The Mask 22. I can't talk about anything I saw about the insides of a Mask 22, but I can tell you it is marginally smaller in length than a SilencerCo Sparrow.

The Sandman's muzzle brake and QD system is really cool. The brake is both a muzzlebrake and a flash hider. I watched some of their night time videos which shows just how little flash they make when a suppressor isn't over the brake.

The QD system is a one handed system that guarantees alignment using 3 unique sized lugs and corresponding sized mating surfaces on the brake. It will not ratchet closed if the QD mount is assembled incorrectly and wont rachet closed if you manage to put it on the muzzle brake incorrectly. Here's a video of it going on and off.

https://youtu.be/YPE8RCMK-V4

https://youtu.be/svmUvFB-stc

This is a brick of stellite, this shit is heavy.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
ArevaloSOCOM
I ain't got time to bleed

ArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to beholdArevaloSOCOM is a splendid one to behold

Great pics!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share! Rep!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Narsil
Creepy-Ass Cracka

Narsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to allNarsil is a name known to all

And photos.

That's a nice tour; thanks!

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."
—Al'Lan Mandragoran
Narsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
dj_fatstyles

dj_fatstyles is a glorious beacon of lightdj_fatstyles is a glorious beacon of lightdj_fatstyles is a glorious beacon of lightdj_fatstyles is a glorious beacon of lightdj_fatstyles is a glorious beacon of lightdj_fatstyles is a glorious beacon of lightdj_fatstyles is a glorious beacon of light

Haha, got my manager to pull it up while we were in a meeting with a couple purchasing agents. They all looked at me like like I just shit on the table in front of all of them. That probably made me laugh even harder than the video. hahaha
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan1 View Post
More like going to the dentist. He says "Open" and you grab his balls and say "We're not going to hurt each other, are we?"
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
The NFATCA was to be exactly this until they decided the Brady Campaign was too pro-gun.
dj_fatstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
Gibal
Procrastinator

Gibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to behold

You're famous!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-factory-tour/
Gibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
laxguy59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibal View Post
yea but what a shitty job they did, why not post my words too?

Maybe I can convince Liberty to let me tour their facility.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
DistalRadius

DistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to all

Yeah they did the same thing when I did a review as one of the first owners of the MD-20 drum. Just used my pics and none of my statements.
"Nope; these days if you don't have a linkless cam that tilts the breech end of the barrel downwards and locks it to the ejection port and a machined slide with a single locking lug that forms the front of the firing chamber riding on a one-piece polymer frame with interchangeable backstraps and a striker-fired assisted DAO trigger mechanism, nobody will take you seriously." -LoudClankingSound
DistalRadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
Gibal
Procrastinator

Gibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to behold

What else would you expect from alloutdoor.com TFB?
Gibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Kristofer_G
Hobby Gun Sunday Driver

Kristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to beholdKristofer_G is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxguy59 View Post
The sandman's quick dettach screws onto these heat treated threads. It was indicated that in the future different type mounts may be available for the suppressor, so an owner could have multiple mounting options. Similar to the Silencerco MAAD mounting system is how I would describe that.
Looking forward to Liberty's introduction of HATE2 ring for Mystic-X.

Spoiler
Seriously.
Kristofer_G is offline   Reply With Quote