NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Dealers & Services > Hansohn Brothers

Old 03-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Hansohnbrothers

Hansohnbrothers is on a distinguished road
Default Gemtech Aurora II - available for pre-order now

Available for pre-order now, $375

This is the evolution of the original Aurora. New feature for this version is it is threaded on each end, 1/2x28 on one end and M13.5x1 LH on the other. Supplies are extremely limited, once they are gone there is no telling when they will be back.

Caliber: 9mm NATO
Material: Aluminum
Length: < 3.5"
Diameter: 1.125
Weight: < 4 ounces
Mount: Direct Thread, 1/2x28 and M13.5LH

Hansohnbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Ccoffin
Professional amateur

Ccoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansohnbrothers View Post
Available for pre-order now, $375

This is the evolution of the original Aurora. New feature for this version is it is threaded on each end, 1/2x28 on one end and M13.5x1 LH on the other. Supplies are extremely limited, once they are gone there is no telling when they will be back.

Caliber: 9mm NATO
Material: Aluminum
Length: < 3.5"
Diameter: 1.125
Weight: < 4 ounces
Mount: Direct Thread, 1/2x28 and M13.5LH

Tempting... looking for metering numbers online now
Ccoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Hansohnbrothers

Hansohnbrothers is on a distinguished road

Hansohnbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
knightslugger
HEY! Laser lips!

knightslugger is a glorious beacon of lightknightslugger is a glorious beacon of lightknightslugger is a glorious beacon of lightknightslugger is a glorious beacon of lightknightslugger is a glorious beacon of lightknightslugger is a glorious beacon of lightknightslugger is a glorious beacon of lightknightslugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
1/2x28 on one end and M13.5x1 LH on the other
I don't understand why this is a thing...
knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
98_1LE

98_1LE is just really nice98_1LE is just really nice98_1LE is just really nice98_1LE is just really nice98_1LE is just really nice98_1LE is just really nice

Since these were originally for downed military pilots, I'll guess the metric threads are in case they pick up a foreign 9mm pistol.
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
Telekinesis

Telekinesis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
Since these were originally for downed military pilots, I'll guess the metric threads are in case they pick up a foreign 9mm pistol.
I highly doubt that an aviator would stumble across a pistol that was already threaded for a suppressor. And if they have the can with them, their own pistol should already be threaded.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the first Aurora was originally for the military contract (there were a few overruns made available to the public) and the Gen 2 was made with more civilian use in mind.

The original was only in 1/2 x 28 and I bet the threaded end cap is officially a suppressor part (I know the threaded end cap on the Poseidon is) so I suspect they threaded both ends on the Gen 2 to have something similar to how a full sized can with a booster can be used on multiple thread types by swapping out a piston.

I wonder how the old school wipe and spacer design of the aurora would perform compared to something like a monocore/wipe design of the Poseidon or Degroat Nano.
Telekinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
Ccoffin
Professional amateur

Ccoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the roughCcoffin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansohnbrothers View Post
Should have known it was a wet can; eventually I'll probably get one but they're too much of a PITA especially with the wipes being suppressor parts now. I got my hopes up thinking this was the short, light, cheap, sub 130db dry pistol suppressor we've all been waiting for...
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura aboutowensww has a spectacular aura about

wonder how that would do on a lever action 38, 9mm bolt or mech tech 9mm
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of lightareekalaan is a glorious beacon of light

At the end of the video It mentions 142.78 @ the ear. Better than nothing but I'm pretty sure my Poseidon is better than that to the shooter.

Our test data shows:
135.72and 131.12 @ the ear for a wet Poseidon on a Glock 17. 160 unsuppressed
139.26 and 134.68 @ the ear for a wet Poseidon on a Glock 19. 160.5 unsuppressed

132.5 and 142.78 @ the ear from the Aurora on a Glock 19. 158.6 unsuppressed.

I'm not really impressed. I'll stick with my Poseidon until the Maxim 9 Gen 2 comes out.

How many spare wipes does it come with?
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
DistalRadius

DistalRadius is a glorious beacon of lightDistalRadius is a glorious beacon of lightDistalRadius is a glorious beacon of lightDistalRadius is a glorious beacon of lightDistalRadius is a glorious beacon of lightDistalRadius is a glorious beacon of lightDistalRadius is a glorious beacon of lightDistalRadius is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightslugger View Post
I don't understand why this is a thing...
"Yo dawg. We heard you like suppressors. So we threaded a suppressor so you can thread a suppressor onto your suppressor for double suppression!"

"Nope; these days if you don't have a linkless cam that tilts the breech end of the barrel downwards and locks it to the ejection port and a machined slide with a single locking lug that forms the front of the firing chamber riding on a one-piece polymer frame with interchangeable backstraps and a striker-fired assisted DAO trigger mechanism, nobody will take you seriously." -LoudClankingSound
DistalRadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
doubloon
pew pew yum yum

doubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to all

This entire thread would have made much more sense if it would have been started today.
doubloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #12
Stan1

Stan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to allStan1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoffin View Post
...but they're too much of a PITA especially with the wipes being suppressor parts now.
Correction - Only Dead Air Ghost M45 wipes are suppressor parts.
Stan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #13
doubloon
pew pew yum yum

doubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to alldoubloon is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan1 View Post
Currently, for the moment, at this time ...
Old 04-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #14
Ccoffin
Professional amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan1 View Post
I mistakenly assumed this would apply to any suppressor of similar construction. What is the difference in the ghost that resulted in this decision?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #15
doubloon
pew pew yum yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoffin View Post
I mistakenly assumed this would apply to any suppressor of similar construction. What is the difference in the ghost that resulted in this decision?
Personal observation, not to be confused with fact.

It seems only Dead Air was "informally notified" their "aperture wipes" are considered silencer parts. I, personally, have seen no news of other manufacturers being notified wipes are an issue but maybe that's only because other manufacturers aren't selling spare wipes. I also haven't seen any kind of open letter from the ATF indicating the consumer replacement of wipes in any other suppressor is a problem. It may be coming or it may already be out but nobody has rubbed my nose in it.

Speculation on the interwebs varies from the aperture in the Dead Are wipe is the problem to the ATF is positioning itself to take a stronger position on jack booting 3D printed "silencer parts".

The 3D printed angle seems a stretch to me and it seems silly to focus on the "aperture" as the only issue.

However, when Thompson Machine started making the Poseidon and gave instructions on how to obtain sheet material and cut replacement wipes for yourself, they advised people not to have "spare" wipes in possession. I seem to recall they initially offered a "wipe punch" for convenience and indicated used wipes should be destroyed before new wipes were punched and someone was even squeamish about carrying around "too much" wipe material with the suppressor. I could easily be wrong about Thompson offering a wipe punch for sale but there was definitely some discussion on homemade punches as well as a part from McMaster Carr that could be used as a punch.

The main difference I see between Thompson and Dead Air is Thompson did not offer prefabricated wipes for sale and actively advised against carrying spare wipes where Dead Air took a position that made it "easy" for any idiot to have a pocket full of spare wipes ready to go.

Personally I believe the problem is Dead Air decided to sell prefabricated wipes which is just a gnat's asshole away from selling replacement silencer parts, JMOYMMV.

If Dead Air had decided to sell "rubber shot glass coasters" instead of replacement wipes things might have turned out differently.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #16
Ccoffin
Professional amateur

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.