NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Stalking Rhino Industries

Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really nice
Default hunting 300 blk

What would be the shortest and lightest reasonably durable direct thread suppressor you could build custom that would meter no greater than 125 dB (and closer to 120) with commercial subsonic 300 blk 220 grain (eg. Remington ) on an AR15 pistol and still handle .223 from a 16" barrel at a low rate of fire(with an adapter)?

How much in general is a custom job like that?

Last edited by owensww; 01-15-2015 at 08:23 PM.
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
hypervdh
Not a true NFA junkie

hypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to behold

I was going to say chaotic until I saw the 1.5" dia part.
hypervdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
phoenix
Official NFATalk Mascot™

phoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to all

nvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
Rule #4: some things are worth fighting for.

Rule #5: everything worth fighting for cannot be bought with money.

Last edited by phoenix; 01-15-2015 at 10:36 PM.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really nice

I am just curious what Bendersquint or one of those guys can do rather than find an existing product. The 1.5 is not a hard and fast requirement but seems to be the most common diameter and helps me better understand the design limitations and what realistically can be expected. Chaotic is cool but the numbers I have seen haven't been as good as the .308 cans. I have an AR15. I'll modify to include that and drop the .308 but keep .223.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to all

And pick ANY other brand besides Remington for your subsonic loads.

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread....ight=remington

I bought a case in October of last year that was totally unusable. Failure to fire / Verticle stringing 6-8 inches at 100 yards / some were supersonic and others were sub...
I sent the ammo back and they mixed up my order with someone else's and gave me 2 boxes to replace the 10 boxes I sent back. I called them and after leaving several messages someone called me back. they admitted making a mistake and said they would send me the balance of the ammo but stated that the ammo I sent in met their ballistic standards. When I asked what that standard was he told me it was 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards! That's 3MOA! So they sell Rem 700s with a 1MOA guarantee, just not with their ammo!?!?!?

They were supposedly shipping the missing ammo on 12/16/14. Still haven't received the other 8 boxes!

Long story short, Remington = shit ammo and shit service. Armscor and Summit have both been flawless thus far.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
owensww
Not A Clue

I just put Remington because I figure it will be relatively loud for subsonic and available. But I certainly appreciate any recommendation for good ammo.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
phoenix
Official NFATalk Mascot™

phoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to allphoenix is a name known to all

nvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
Rule #4: some things are worth fighting for.

Rule #5: everything worth fighting for cannot be bought with money.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
areekalaan
Expert Wannabe

areekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to allareekalaan is a name known to all

Most people haven't heard or seen one in person yet, but the Silencerco Omega is looking like it could fit your needs.
areekalaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #9
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries

sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensww View Post
What would be the shortest and lightest reasonably durable direct thread suppressor you could build custom that would meter no greater than 125 dB (and closer to 120) with commercial subsonic 300 blk 220 grain (eg. Remington ) on an AR15 pistol and still handle .223 from a 16" barrel at a low rate of fire(with an adapter)?

How much in general is a custom job like that?
As of the first of the year, we will be significantly limiting the number of custom jobs we accept as to concentrate and move to a more production type business model.

More news will follow on this, keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates of products and services.
As always, thank you for your interest in stalking rhino industries.

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
z28orshoot

z28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the rough

most 1.5 " is because lathe through bores are this size. Bigger lathes cost BIG money. Above this diameter raw material cost skyrocket as well.
www.rparms.com
z28orshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
owensww
Not A Clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsir View Post
As of the first of the year, we will be significantly limiting the number of custom jobs we accept as to concentrate and move to a more production type business model.

More news will follow on this, keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates of products and services.
As always, thank you for your interest in stalking rhino industries.
"So your telling there's a chance . . . Yeah!"
Lloyd Christmas 1994
Old 01-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
sinsir

sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensww View Post
"So your telling there's a chance . . . Yeah!"
Lloyd Christmas 1994
What I'm saying is that I'll run it by Matt, the owner of SRI, but I wouldn't get my hopes up to high, as we're not accounting time for custom work on the production schedule. Each custom job will need Matts approval, based on not only the work to be done, but also machine time vs profitability. Something like that may fall into the dedicated r+d time, but you wouldn't even know about it until the prototype is completely finished including sound metering, then if and only if we believe it would be a viable sales product.

Edit - I hate to sound all, by the numbers practical, but it's common sense. To do a custom can to meet those specs, there is a crap load of man hours just in the r+d, sound metering, tuning the design, nevermind actually time on the machine to rework each change or tuning, then producing it is more time and more and more materials. How much are you legitimately will to pay? Maybe 1k?
So we used a few hundred in materials, countless hrs of design time at a shop rate of 80/hr, time to meter, re meter after every change, and lots of time where the machines are not producing anything but chips and bad sounding Baffles. Would you to 3-5x the work for 10-15% of your pay? That's all I'm getting at.

Last edited by sinsir; 01-16-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
owensww
Not A Clue

Just to Clarify, the quote above was a joke from "Dumb and Dumber". The girl Lloyd is kind of stalking tells him that his chances of ever getting her are 1 in 1,000,000 and he takes it to mean he has a good chance, because he is an idiot.

I know you guys are slammed. I appreciate the time you put into the forum and answering our questions.

I was looking more to see what you even thought was in the realm of design possibility since you guys seem to have a vast amount of knowledge and experience.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
sinsir

No problem man, and sorry I've never seen the movie.

I didn't mean to come off like a dick, it's just been one of those days.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #15
srt-4_uk

srt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to allsrt-4_uk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsir View Post
No problem man, and sorry I've never seen the movie.
srt-4_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #16
Nathaniel Crunkleton

Nathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to allNathaniel Crunkleton is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_uk View Post
?

Was a shitty movie, regardless of the popularity of the meme.