NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Stalking Rhino Industries

Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Ben B.
Gun gamer

Ben B. is just really niceBen B. is just really niceBen B. is just really niceBen B. is just really niceBen B. is just really niceBen B. is just really nice
Default SRI re-cored my SRT Odessa

I had SRI recore my SRT Odessa, which is a shorty .22 can. I first thought about jail breaking it, but Matt told me he thought his core was quieter and that it would be easier to clean the "pillar baffles" than the K baffle stack that comes in the Odessa. Matt described pillar baffles as similar to original Omega baffles, but the skirt/spacer extended to the wall of the tube, similar to CTA baffles. To me, they look like a cone atop a cylinder. Since I find that the K baffles on my Outback 2 D are a PITA to clean with green scrubbies and elbow grease, I liked the idea of something easier. So, I went with that.

The SRT Odessa is 3.9" long, 3.1 oz. 1.0"diameter and is super handy in size. With the original K baffle stack Odessa on a rifle, I couldn't detect a sound difference b/t Odessa and my Outback 2 D. On a pistol, the OB2 was noticeably quieter. I would still describe the original Odessa as acceptably quiet on a pistol. If the new stack was in fact easier to clean, and about the same sound, I would be satisfied & happy.

Matt took longer than the projected time to get the can back to me but not much longer. He sweetened the deal to make up for the time delay. When I received the can, I immediately took it apart to gawk at the purty innards. While doing that, I pushed all the baffles out without thinking to look at the alignment. When I put it back together, I alternated the scoops 90 degrees. I then did a test fire and it was pretty barky. On the drive home, I recalled a video showing that the SWR stack has all the baffles with scoops aligned in the same position, and I dug up the video of Henry showing the CTA stack to verify.

I then switched my stack so all the scoops were aligned, and retested. This made a HUGE improvement. I have several threaded .22 pistols, but I don't have any pistols with the same barrel length & action type. So comparison was done by switching the cans and trying to recall & compare. At times, the Odessa sounded slightly louder than the OB2, at times the same, and sometimes re-cored Odessa sounded quieter.

Yesterday after the IPSC match, I showed off my M&P .22 Compact with both cans and some CCI standard velocity to 3 IPSC buddies. The fellas were back & forth in opinions on which was quieter. The Odessa seems deeper in tone and I personally was not sure which was quieter on that pistol on that day with that ammo. That is pretty flippin' cool, as the Odessa is even shorter and lighter than the already short n light OB2. And the OB2 is a good .22 can.

2 thumbs up to SRI. My expectations were exceeded.

Here are some cell phone cam pics, so I don't violate The Code.

Compact can on a Compact pistol, OB2D above for size comparison:

Purty innards:

ETA: The pillar baffles made by SRI for this can are significantly easier to clean than the K-baffles in my OB2D.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. -Cornelius Tacitus

I want somebody to do it for me. This ass isn't gonna fatten itself. -Twinsen

There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result.-Winston Churchill

Last edited by Ben B.; 01-04-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Ben B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Bendersquint
Stalking Rhino Industries

Bendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really niceBendersquint is just really nice

Thanks for the review of my work Ben!

Look forward to the pics!
Bendersquint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
strobro32

strobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to allstrobro32 is a name known to all

Man...I wanted one of those. Cool.

Good job SRI!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
sinsir
Stalking Rhino Industries

sinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to allsinsir is a name known to all

Nice write up, thanks for the review.

Cheerfully offensive and happily misunderstood since 1972
sinsir is offline   Reply With Quote