NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > SilencerCo / SWR

Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
no4mk1t
Distinguished Rifleman

no4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud ofno4mk1t has much to be proud of
Default It Appears that SWR Stands for Something Different Now

SilencerCo Weapons Research (SWR) was created with the intent of making hunting and shooting technologies accessible to everyone. For too long, certain technologies have been unnecessarily prohibited from commercial sale or priced out of the attainable range of most civilians.

SWR not only believes that you deserve better - we plan to show it.

SWR is designing human augmentation devices that are both affordable and capable in order to enhance the shooter’s ability to engage targets, positively identify prey in multiple spectrums, and reduce shooter signature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=65&v=uqFhK2HF0UE
Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
propeine
Wannabe Gunsmith

propeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to allpropeine is a name known to all

I'm actually curious to see what they come out with.
propeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
Gibal
Procrastinator

Gibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to behold

Ambiguous propaganda is ambiguous.
Gibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:30 AM   #4
z28orshoot

z28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the roughz28orshoot is a jewel in the rough

I hope they start to tackle the FDA IR 1w IR laser laws. I love my 5w stuff but I dont want to spend 12-1500 bucks for a used or second hand with papers IR laser

Maybe helping technology to get thermal over IR gogles and monoculars down in price or hell maybe a civilian legal 40w plasma rifle
www.rparms.com
z28orshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Black

Black is a glorious beacon of lightBlack is a glorious beacon of lightBlack is a glorious beacon of lightBlack is a glorious beacon of lightBlack is a glorious beacon of lightBlack is a glorious beacon of lightBlack is a glorious beacon of light

From the logo, I feel like Gordon Freeman should start killing Headcrabs with his crowbar but I'm interested to see what this is all about.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:34 AM   #6
Gibal
Procrastinator

Gibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to beholdGibal is a splendid one to behold

Gibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:29 AM   #7
Haywood Jablome
3-Legged Workhorse

Haywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to allHaywood Jablome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibal View Post
i concur
Haywood Jablome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww is a jewel in the roughowensww is a jewel in the roughowensww is a jewel in the roughowensww is a jewel in the roughowensww is a jewel in the roughowensww is a jewel in the rough

Cool stuff. Predator cloaking device with terminator sunglasses. Arnold would be proud.
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Kristofer_G
Hobby Gun Sunday Driver

Kristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to all

Kristofer_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Mongo
Molested by Nurses

Mongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to behold

The Radius seems neat but after reading some how its used i have some questions.

They say you zero the unit to your scope using the visible laser in the unit. So what range do you zero it to? The scope reticle would be way off zero if you have made adjustments for long range and you zero'd for 100 M. Given that there is no way to visible see where the unit is aiming at how can you be sure you are not lasing the berm that's 100 M short of the target that is sitting behind it but is just barely visible?

The web site really sucks too, given how good they have been in the past on video/communication it surprised me how much it doesn't tell you. They are taking pre-orders yet there is no price and the web site has 3 fill in lines with no tags. I would beat my IT staff with a monkey wrench for generating shit like that after seeming spent so much on this grand introduction. This seems more like a fail that a win to me at this point. I hope they can pull out of this.

So does anyone know the expected price?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
Kristofer_G
Hobby Gun Sunday Driver

Kristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to allKristofer_G is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Says here "This 1000 yard + Weapon Mounted Laser Rangefinder will be available in Oct and retail for less than $1000.".

http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...encerco-radius
Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Mongo
Molested by Nurses

Mongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to beholdMongo is a splendid one to behold

1K eh, I think I'd rather have one hand held unit so I could go to the range and get distances no mater which gun I brought. Given that there is no optics for the user in it, seems kind of expensive compared to other range finder units on the market.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #13
Renegade

Renegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really nice

A peq2 sized device is a joke. As Mongo says, how can you be sure what it is ranging? You can't. it might work great in an open field, but in any wooded area it is a guess what it is ranging.

I guess you would have to zero it at night, as range of red laser is very short in daylight.

I will keep my pocket rangefinder with view scope.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
ncorry

ncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The Radius seems neat but after reading some how its used i have some questions.

They say you zero the unit to your scope using the visible laser in the unit. So what range do you zero it to? The scope reticle would be way off zero if you have made adjustments for long range and you zero'd for 100 M. Given that there is no way to visible see where the unit is aiming at how can you be sure you are not lasing the berm that's 100 M short of the target that is sitting behind it but is just barely visible?

The web site really sucks too, given how good they have been in the past on video/communication it surprised me how much it doesn't tell you. They are taking pre-orders yet there is no price and the web site has 3 fill in lines with no tags. I would beat my IT staff with a monkey wrench for generating shit like that after seeming spent so much on this grand introduction. This seems more like a fail that a win to me at this point. I hope they can pull out of this.

Since neither the laser nor the line of sight through the day scope is affected (much) by gravity, if the laser output window of the range finder is 2" high and 1" right of the center of the day scope, couldn't you just use a constant offset? I.E. The range finder is always lazing 2" high and 1" right of the crosshairs regardless of distance? This would assume that the visible laser is the laser actually being used for the rangefinding.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
Kristofer_G
Hobby Gun Sunday Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorry View Post
Since neither the laser nor the line of sight through the day scope is affected (much) by gravity, if the laser output window of the range finder is 2" high and 1" right of the center of the day scope, couldn't you just use a constant offset? I.E. The range finder is always lazing 2" high and 1" right of the crosshairs regardless of distance? This would assume that the visible laser is the laser actually being used for the rangefinding.
Regardless of how it is zeroed to the optic, the issue I see comes in when you range something and dial in your dope and for whatever reason need to range again.

You dialed X.X MIL for Xm distance and now you need to range again; you have to dial back to 0?

Or remember to use the reticle and hold under same X.X MIL to re-range?

Last edited by Kristofer_G; 09-16-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
Renegade

Renegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really niceRenegade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorry View Post
That is the theory. How it works in practice is the question.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
Twinsen
Cheeki Breeki Moderator

Twinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to behold

The radius sounds extremely hard to use, but 1 mile ranging = bonerz.
Twinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #18
jimmym40a2
Super Moderator

jimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to alljimmym40a2 is a name known to all

I wouldnt want that big ole thing hanging off my gun
jimmym40a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #19
DistalRadius

DistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to allDistalRadius is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
The radius sounds extremely hard to use, but 1 mile ranging = bonerz.
1 mile on reflective objects.
1000 yds for non-reflective.

"Nope; these days if you don't have a linkless cam that tilts the breech end of the barrel downwards and locks it to the ejection port and a machined slide with a single locking lug that forms the front of the firing chamber riding on a one-piece polymer frame with interchangeable backstraps and a striker-fired assisted DAO trigger mechanism, nobody will take you seriously." -LoudClankingSound
DistalRadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #20
Plunky
Forum Flunky, Admin

Plunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to beholdPlunky is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym40a2 View Post
I wouldnt want that big ole thing hanging off my gun
I agree. This thing is being made/marketed for Tactical Yuppies.
Plunky is offline   Reply With Quote