NFA Talk  

Go Back   NFA Talk > Manufacturers > Liberty Suppressors

View Poll Results: What is your favorite hunting caliber?
308 WIN / 30-06 22 57.89%
270 WIN 2 5.26%
6.5 Creedmore / 260 REM 1 2.63%
223 REM / 243 WIN 3 7.89%
Something obscure... 9 23.68%
300 Blackout 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
sub
Liberty Suppressors

sub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nicesub is just really nice
Default What hunting caliber is your favorite?

I am looking for some insight on which caliber is the "favorite" at this time for general purpose hunting use.

What say you?

Purveyors in fine firearm sound suppressors.

"There is no such thing as a good tax." - Winston Churchill.
sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I am looking for some insight on which caliber is the "favorite" at this time for general purpose hunting use.

What say you?
Most people I know shoot 223, 270 or 7mm for supersonic rifles (not necessarily suppressed). Wish you had a less expensive integral version of Mjolnir that could handle those.

For subsonic, sounds, like a lot of people like 44 and 357, since it is designed for lower velocities.

Last edited by owensww; 03-02-2017 at 01:50 PM.
owensww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
ryanh487
Weapons Addict

ryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to allryanh487 is a name known to all

I hunt deer with .308, .270, and occasionally .243. If you told me I had to start over and pick 1 and only 1 caliber to hunt with forever, I would get a.30-06.
ryanh487 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
fastfire

fastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Shot my first 2 deer with an 30'06 Then used 22-250 for 6 years, ever sense(11 years) .223 w-60gr. NBT always head or neck shots out to 370yds. Couple of the head shots saw a white mist.
And 1 cow elk with the .223.,1 cow elk 45-70 lever and 5 cow elk .338 Lapua out to 550yds.

Last edited by fastfire; 03-02-2017 at 02:53 PM.
fastfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Twinsen
Cheeki Breeki Moderator

Twinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to beholdTwinsen is a splendid one to behold

Cow elk with 223? Wuuuuuu

My vote is don'tcare/308. I want to start using a 6.5, but again, don't care.
Twinsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Glocktogo

Glocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of lightGlocktogo is a glorious beacon of light

6.8 SPCII

Not because it's the best at anything (it isn't), but because it will do pretty much anything I need it to do while working in my preferred 16" AR15 sized envelope.

I don't hunt Western plains, or my answer would be completely different.

I know a LOT of hog hunters that like 6.8.

Last edited by Glocktogo; 03-02-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Glocktogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
hypervdh
Not a true NFA junkie

hypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to behold

I voted 308/30-06 because that's what most people I know uses because it can do everything. It doesn't excel anywhere, but it can get the job done pretty much everywhere in North America.

I used to use either 308/30-06, I have switched to 300blk lately though. I don't shoot over 100yards hunting though.
hypervdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
Bulwyeth

Bulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the roughBulwyeth is a jewel in the rough

Dave, you didn't specify for what, so I just went with Whitetails. 270 is my go to caliber where I hunt mostly. (North Dakota). I prefer 30-06 or 35 Whelan in woodsy environments.

I bite my tongue so much it hurts, but at the same time I'm at a loss for words.
The things I've seen should've left me blind, so it makes me happy that I am losing my mind.
Anthrax - Big Fat

Experience: Something gained right after you needed it.
Bulwyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
DethRokRyan

DethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really niceDethRokRyan is just really nice

I forget who said this (I think Jeff Cooper), and my Google-fu is weak today, but...

"If you can't kill it with a 30-06, you probably can't kill it."

That being said, I like to experiment with different calibers, but my go-to in south Texas if I want to make sure it's dead is a suppressed 270.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
fastfire

fastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the roughfastfire is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
Cow elk with 223? Wuuuuuu

My vote is don'tcare/308. I want to start using a 6.5, but again, don't care.
It was a brain shot, dropped in her tracks 130yds.
Hay, the mobil butcher uses a .22lr.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #11
Lafsnguy

Lafsnguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
6.8 SPCII

Not because it's the best at anything (it isn't), but because it will do pretty much anything I need it to do while working in my preferred 16" AR15 sized envelope.

I don't hunt Western plains, or my answer would be completely different.

I know a LOT of hog hunters that like 6.8.
This I use my 12.5 inch 6.8 for pretty much everything. Do a lot of night hog and coyote hunting and I've definitely noticed a lot more drt shots when compared to 5.56 and 300 blk.
Lafsnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #12
wlc

wlc is on a distinguished road

When I lived in GA and hunted whitetails I used a 6mm rem for years and years, sometimes a 280 and if I wanted to reach out and touch them a 300WBY mag. Killed more with the 6mm than the other two combined. Here in AK I use the 300Wby and have a 416 Ruger that needs to be tested out on game.
wlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 AM   #13
Yondering

Yondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the roughYondering is a jewel in the rough

I had to vote "something obscure". Really like the 35 cals for hunting - 35 Whelen first, then 35 Rem and various others.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
owensww
Not A Clue

owensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really niceowensww is just really nice

This makes me wonder, which of the calibers above would get up to adequate velocity in the shortest barrel length, that would be capable for hunting medium game up to a large white tail or perhaps a mule deer, let's say to 200-300 yards? That would cover a lot of peoples needs and keep it handy.

Maybe a 6.8 SPCII Leonidas purpose built for supersonic ammunition?
Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #15
Lafsnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensww View Post
This makes me wonder, which of the calibers above would get up to adequate velocity in the shortest barrel length, that would be capable for hunting medium game up to a large white tail or perhaps a mule deer, let's say to 200-300 yards? That would cover a lot of peoples needs and keep it handy.

Maybe a 6.8 SPCII Leonidas purpose built for supersonic ammunition?
My 12.5 inch 6.8 gets like 2425 FPS with factory 120 SST's. With my handloads I get like 2350 without really trying to push it. Bullet expands all the way down to 1600 fps which would be out to almost 400 yards. Now I personally wouldn't shoot something at 400 yards with it but I shoot pigs and coyotes at 200-300 all the time with it.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
hypervdh
Not a true NFA junkie

hypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to beholdhypervdh is a splendid one to behold

My only issue with 6.8 is you almost have to reload to shoot it. There isn't that much available to buy. This is not a cost based thing. I know a lot of people who buy 2 boxes of hunting ammo and it last them 5 years or more.

Are you trying to find a caliber to build a gun in? If that is the case I think there are more people who buy ammo than reload. My 2 cents.
hypervdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
ncorry

ncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the roughncorry is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafsnguy View Post
This I use my 12.5 inch 6.8 for pretty much everything. Do a lot of night hog and coyote hunting and I've definitely noticed a lot more drt shots when compared to 5.56 and 300 blk.

This is exactly my experience. Do as much night hog hunting as my marriage can take, and the difference in drt shots between 556/ 300BLK and a 12.5" 6.8 is large.

For deer around here, 90% of the time I'm using 308 or the 12.5" 6.8. Occasionally take out my old 270 featherweight Model 70.

Just got the stamp in for a 6 pound 12.5" 308 2A Armament AR10. Waiting on the stamp for the 15 ounce suppressor that is actually rated for a short 308.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #18
Bowen1911
I'm pretty dumb

Bowen1911 is just really niceBowen1911 is just really niceBowen1911 is just really niceBowen1911 is just really niceBowen1911 is just really niceBowen1911 is just really nice

I voted obscure. I hunt coyotes with my 204. Any game that requires a tag is hunted with a bow.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #19
owensww
Not A Clue

So what is your wish list for a suppressed hunting rifle?

Barrel/suppressor length 22" combined
Light Ti tube so that whole rifle is around 7lbs
Caliber has readily available factory ammo
Ballistics of round will kill deer at 300 yards
2500 fps or greater
Accurate
Less than 130 dB at ear with full power ammo
Reliable action

http://ar15hunter.com/fall-6-8-spc-r...hunting-round/

Last edited by owensww; 03-03-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #20
Lafsnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervdh View Post
My only issue with 6.8 is you almost have to reload to shoot it. There isn't that much available to buy. This is not a cost based thing. I know a lot of people who buy 2 boxes of hunting ammo and it last them 5 years or more.

Are you trying to find a caliber to build a gun in? If that is the case I think there are more people who buy ammo than reload. My 2 cents.

It's available to buy. Right now seeing S&B 110 FMJ for 12.34 a box. A while back I bought like 1K rounds of the S&B for 9.99 a box and just reload the brass. But yeah it isn't as available as some of the other rounds. I enjoy reloading so either way I am good.