• Remember, when discussing all things gun/weapon/NFA related, all associated laws apply! DO NOT ask anyone here to help you do anything that is against the law. Period. Soliciting someone to do something illegal here will get your post removed, and possibly get you banned. Doing something illegal can lead to you being fined and spending quality time with "Bubba", where you will understand the meaning of PMITA Prison. Be smart, we are all hobbyists/collectors here who adhere to the law, and so should you.

Getting in contact with SRI about my Suppressor

B+Shooter

I had sent a 5.56 suppressor in for baffle strike issues. I'd been messaging Matt on FB, but i haven't gotten any feedback in awhile. I get nervous when my Class III stuff is unaccounted for, can you help me with some status/more direct contact info? It's been out of my hands for several months now, with no idea what is happening. I've also PMed Sinsir on here also, hoping someone would get a hold of me before putting it out publicly.

Unfortunately this seems to be the only way to get the necessary attention. I'd feel different if I could at least get someone to return a message, but I'm getting to the point when I'm debating if I need to make a report. I see other people that have had issues, and at a certain point I'm being negligent if I don't contact agencies about my suppressor being gone.

Would love to hear back from someone, one method or another.

doubloon

mEdIA JuNKiE
notthisshitagain.jpg

Before making a report does any of the recommended documentation exist? Was there a time estimated for the repair?

ATF said:
ATF does not consider the temporary conveyance of an NFA firearm to an FFL for repair to be a “transfer” under the NFA. Thus, a transfer application is not required to convey the firearm for repair or to return the repaired firearm to its owner/possessor. Nevertheless, in order to avoid any appearance that a “transfer” has taken place, ATF recommends that a Form 5 application be submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. It is also recommended that the FFL making repairs obtain an approved Form 5 to return a repaired firearm. If Forms 5 are not used to convey a firearm for repair or return the repaired firearm to the owner, the parties should maintain documentation showing that the conveyance was for purposes of repair, identifying the firearm, and showing the anticipated time for repair. Approved Forms 5, or the recommended documentation, will show that an unlawful “transfer” did not take place and that the FFL making the repairs is not in unlawful possession of the firearm

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/undefined/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-9/download

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/repair-nfa-firearms/download

sinsir

Stalking Rhino Industries
I had sent a 5.56 suppressor in for baffle strike issues. I'd been messaging Matt on FB, but i haven't gotten any feedback in awhile. I get nervous when my Class III stuff is unaccounted for, can you help me with some status/more direct contact info? It's been out of my hands for several months now, with no idea what is happening. I've also PMed Sinsir on here also, hoping someone would get a hold of me before putting it out publicly.

Unfortunately this seems to be the only way to get the necessary attention. I'd feel different if I could at least get someone to return a message, but I'm getting to the point when I'm debating if I need to make a report. I see other people that have had issues, and at a certain point I'm being negligent if I don't contact agencies about my suppressor being gone.

Would love to hear back from someone, one method or another.

I thought I sent you a msg last week... Anyway, I did let Matt know and he was going to contact you

B+Shooter

*Got the status update I needed

Update- I talked to Matt today and got an update on my can. I'll give credit where credit is due. The suppressor I sent was a HOT MESS. We talked at length on what problems were found (so far) and potential fixes, as well as what future problems are still yet determined. They are going through several steps doing root cause analysis, including sending me some videos showing several issues found.

FYI- The suppressor is a Mag Tactical Elite SS. It's a direct thread 5.56 steel can. The welds and coating look rough, but I hoped it was just cosmetic. It turns out the threads are out of spec, and some issues with concentricity/off-axis threading. TBD on how bad the welds are/etc. These cans may have been built by people that couldn't get hired by Century to build their guns!

I didn't ask them to fabricate anything new, nor to jailbreak a better quality can. As someone who has been on the other side of these types of issues, trying to diagnose/un-fudge someone else's mess takes a lot more work than starting fresh. Unfortunately the NFA aspect makes these kinds of problems much more difficult.

I'm happy to keep them working on it. We talked through much of what they had done, so it's clear that they have been working through the problems all this time. Once we established a clear line of communication, I feel fine with letting SRI continue working through the multitude of problems at hand.

doubloon

mEdIA JuNKiE
Glad you worked something out without dragging the ATF into it.

Nobody wins when the jack boots get involved.